Buy iPhone with cash?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grod13, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Grod13 macrumors newbie

Do you guys think that apple will let me buy the new iPhone with cash, or do I need a credit card? Thanks.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

That depends greatly on whether or not you have an account already with ATT. If you do, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get it.

If you dont, and youre signing up with new service, they will need to do a credit check and they may require you have it, but I still think you can pay with cash.

You need a credit history for sure though.

If you dont have credit history you cant get it period because you wont qualify for new service.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ah. You CAN get it though.
    You just need to put a $500 deposit.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Really? I wasn't aware of that. And that deposit is through AT&T? When does it become refundable?

6. actorkid macrumors 6502

ive never tried it myself with the subsidized iPhones

but i heard someone say here on the forums that they let someone pay with cash. all they did was put the cash onto an apple gift card and charged it that way.

as for the first gen unsubsidized iPhone, my friend went in and just payed $400 in cash with absolutely no problem...thats unsubsidized though...good luck!

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That I have no idea about.
    All I know is that you can pay a $500 deposit and get an iPhone on no credit.

8. realmcenter macrumors member

I bought mine with cash. But I was being added to an existing account and for the purchase they had to process it as me first purchasing a gift card and then using the gift card to purchase the phone.

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You'll have to pass a credit check to sign up for AT&T service. I believe Apple has a page where you can get pre-approved.

You cannot buy the iPhone with cash. But you can buy a giftcard with cash and then pay with the giftcard. But you can also use any debit or credit card.

10. 2good2btru macrumors member

When I bought mine, they would only let me pay with a credit/debit card. I thought that was strange. Anyway, I paid. 2 days later I found an additional charge of $432 on my card. AT&T tried charging me for 2 iPhones!:eek: yeah, nice try.

11. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

12. Glert macrumors member

I was a new account but had to do the same thing at the Apple Store. I had to pay cash to get a gift card and then use the gift card for the phone. Sort of an odd process but no big deal.

13. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

they only allow you to pay for iphones in the form of credit, debit, or gift cards.

if you want to pay in cash, they simply make you "purchase" a gift card first, and then u use that gift card.

i think it makes sense. imagine how much money they would have in their registers if they allowed people to pay by cash for the iphone...it'd be ridiculous.

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Why should it matter? That cash goes in the register for the gift card purchase anyways.

15. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

UHHHHHH YEAH the cash for the giftcards then magically flys away on a unicorn tour bus, but if you pay cash directly for the iphone then satan comes up from below and eats your soul

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Lol. That would be pretty cool to summon the Unicorn bus whenever you buy an Apple gift card. :)

I'd name him Lucky. :) The bus drive of course, seeing as he's the leader of the unicorns.

17. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

lol, very true, completely forgot about that part haha. i dunno, maybe it's just some confangled apple policy.

and aidricksdad, i actually lol'd at that, and i'm at work. people stared. :D

18. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

come on now we all know the REAL unicorn leader is made of sunflowers and dancing peppercorns and he can only been seen in the reflection of a rainbow

19. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

i bet the unicorn wears a black turtleneck like steve jobs too.

or could the unicorn be steve jobs!?

20. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

he is the chosen unicorn savior

21. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

and he comes with a brand new liver too, apparently.

22. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

steve was born of butterfly blood and ladybug tears so yeah ofcourse he is part unicorn

23. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

it is common knowledge that unicorns dont have livers in fact they dont have internal organs, all is powered but the twisty horn than "shines even in the dark" horsebeaf bible quote 6:15

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Who ever said that wasn't what Lucky is composed of? ;)

25. BMac702 macrumors regular

You get the $500 deposit back after 1 year of keeping up with your payments