Buy iphone without data plan (Montreal)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oldio, Aug 2, 2009.

1. oldio macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying an iphone mostly to write applications and also use as a phone... but i really do not want to pay the extra 20-30$ a month for the data plan. I know that a couple of fido/rogers resellers sell the iphone with a regular plan in montreal but the majority will not due to the 30% commission they get if they sell it with the data plan.

So basically, does anyone know of a reseller in montreal or the surroundings that will sell the device without the data plan ?

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Have you looked into buying from Rogers without a term (device only)? That's what I am considering, since I have low voice usage, and would be content to use data in wifi mode only. Now if my Treo would just die... :)

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

According to a Rogers Corporate Sales Rep that talked to our user group it is possible to tailor phone plans for individuals. You can buy a just a regular phone plan and customize it for your own needs.
    Granted this was not a student part timer at their mall outlet talking, so you might have heard it differently.

Like brad.c says you can use wifi for serious data transfer, but someone else in our user group pointed out that you must ensure that the iPhone is set for wifi data and not cellular data transfer if you wish to avoid surprises at the end of the month.

The Rogers rep also stated that whatever your data plan they will email you an alert when you've reached 90% of your limit.

BTW, I am not a Rogers employee and do not stand to gain from anything here.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

5. omarjk macrumors regular

I find the idea of buying second hand great. Avoiding the 18/24 month tie-in with a network is the kind of freedom that phone companies hate us having. This isn't an anti-corporation rant.

The price of the phone can be justified not only in terms of the contract freedom but also because with something as hugely popular as the iPhone it can be resold later and much of the money spent on it will be recoverable.

6. oldio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies!

@ brad.c : This is what I am thinking of doing if I cannot find a decent reseller

@ jodelli : You might be onto something here... I also found the following lines under the fido.ca website :

Seems this applies to the 3g phone... but I cannot validate for the 3gs because they are out of stock.

@ techound1 : Ohhh i've had a pretty bad experience with Ebay... i'm afraid this is a no go for me ;)

@ omarjk : True, but then your missing out on the goods of the new device... the 3gs has programmable shaders!!