Buy iPhoneSIMFree? or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric Lewis, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i was reading that eventually...someone will release iPhoneSIMFree....basically the same thing...but just for free? would this happing? cause i have the opportunity to buy one for 50bucks...so i dont know? should i wait for a free version? or just buy it?

2. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

It already happened, hold tight and you'll have an unlocked iPhone for free by the end of the night.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

4. cowm007 macrumors regular

I personally didn't mind paying $50 for the unlock. I'm out of the country so it's costing me good money to use the phone as it is. It's nice to finally be able to use a local SIM card.

However, the way they've managed everything is a joke. Constant delays, crappy service. If you've waited this long, I say wait a little bit longer and hope for the free unlock.

I just hope that they don't release the free unlock before the resellers are able to get their second batch of unlocks out. Now that would piss people off.

5. cynerjist macrumors regular

not likely. it could be a while. the way i understand it is that they found a way, but they still have to put together the software for us to unlock.

6. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

from what I've observed in the ipsff channel this morning through about 5 minutes ago, it has been tested and confirmed by at least 10 devs and shouldn't take too long before the cleaned up source is released. Obviously this won't help those that dont know how to compile things, but we should see a dumbed down end user solution within 24 hours.

7. Limeyness macrumors member

8. JloR macrumors newbie

I'm fairly sure it's an iPhone version - not to be run on OSX or Windows. But to be run on the iPhone.

Pretty much works the same way as the one from IPhoneSimFree. Exploits the same flaw in the baseband to write to it. And also uses the dev teams work to do this :rolleyes: