Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Di}{iE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
I really really wantan iPod, but I'm scared that there will be new ones in January. Since MW Tokyo is canceled, would'nt an iPod announce ment in January seem more likely? When were the iPods last updated? Do you think they're due for an update, and what would they logically update next on them?

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
Well, this is the third thread in a row I've responded to under the "Buy now or later" category.

iPod, I really want one too, but don't currently have the money to get one, although I will definitely get one something next year, if not earlier.

I would definitely say MacWorld SF would be the place for an upgrade to happen, if it does.

I believe the iPods were last updated at MacWorld NY in July, when the 20 gig size, Windows iPods, and the solid state scroll wheel and remote, were all intro-ed, so I would say something is coming.

As for what that is, only a few people at Apple know that for sure. There are countless rumors and threads here about that very subject. Do a search for iPod in the forum, and you will most definitely finds all kinds of stuff.

As for which rumors are true, that is anyones guess. A size increase (maybe 30 gig) is probably the most likely, maybe Firewire 2 integration. Other possibilities include a color screen, the ability to play videos and display pictures and the ability for the iPod to work with all the iApps.

This is, of course, not to mention the numerous threads about new devices like the iPod, including the iPhone, the Apple PDA, and the Apple tablet.

What will happen, when it will happen, are both unknowns to everyone here. All we really know for sure is that something will happen, eventually. It always does.

-Natron

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
The thing you have to ask yourself is, is the iPod in its current state what you want it to do? If so, then buy now and be happy. If you want a color one, or whatever you think may be coming, wait. I bought a 10 gig one a while ago, and I wouldnt really use it for video, even if I had it. Video requires too much concentration and eye contact to be used as much as I use it for music.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Buy one now if you really want one. I don't think Apple can really change much more on the hardware side, so if anything new comes it'll probably be in a firmware upgrade for everyone.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You can always get a refurbished 5 GB now for about $200, and sell it to buy a new model when they come out later. You could just do that anyway, I guess, if you decide not to go refurb. Or if you're buying a new Mac soon, get one at the same time. If you buy AppleCare, doesn't it cover accessories (which I heard the iPod is)?

Wait a little while if you can, but who knows when they'll be updated or price dropped.

If you buy one now, you can play with it now.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Natron

As for which rumors are true, that is anyones guess. A size increase (maybe 30 gig) is probably the most likely, maybe Firewire 2 integration. Other possibilities include a color screen, the ability to play videos and display pictures and the ability for the iPod to work with all the iApps.

What will happen, when it will happen, are both unknowns to everyone here. All we really know for sure is that something will happen, eventually. It always does.

-Natron

i would agree more with the adaptation of a color screen, with either video or still image capability. Personally I could care less about those things, so if they occur or not is a big deal for me. I'm more interested about a larger HD since i currently have over 26GB in music (and growing rapidly), i could use a 30Gb drive but thats not going to happen in January since there isnt a 1.8 inch drive capible of anything bigger then 20GB right now.

As for Firewire 2, keep waiting. Apple isn't going to release a Firewire 2 ipod when no Mac has built in support for it. Wait until at least two macs have firewire 2 built in then larger capaciry iPods can come out.

Right now it takes around 30mins to load up a 20Gb iPod, if firewire 2 is twice as fast then it will still take 30mins to load up a 40GB iPod, but at least it wont take an hour.

Ohh how about a price drop of $100 on each model. Just a thought.

Tyler

smegdude

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Cambridge, uk
i'm hoping for an update at Macworld SF, i was gonna get one for christmas but figured that if there is an update then i can look at the updates and see whether its worth it, and could get the current model for a cheaper price, or i can get a new one for *hopefully* the current price of the ipod.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by TyleRomeo

Right now it takes around 30mins to load up a 20Gb iPod, if firewire 2 is twice as fast then it will still take 30mins to load up a 40GB iPod, but at least it wont take an hour.

assuming the drives on both machines can keep that bus full, which i doubt.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
I just got one =)

My parents just bought me an iPod 10gb from Dell.com for a present. They had a 10% off sale so it was only about $60 more than the 5gb model with all the accessories, firewire cover, slimmer size, and solid-state scroll. I'll get to play with it as soon as I'm home for winter break. I would NEVER want to wait until january or later for it. They're so awesome now. I say buy it now. now now now!

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
hey

I've got a 5 gig ipod to sell mac format with cool 50 $ sony fontopia earbuds that sound way better than the apple ones, i got the apple ones too and a remote unscratched unit, i just dont have a mac to use it for so it has been lying dormant, i'm selling the lot for 225 + shipping

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
Me too.

Originally posted by smegdude
i'm hoping for an update at Macworld SF, i was gonna get one for christmas but figured that if there is an update then i can look at the updates and see whether its worth it, and could get the current model for a cheaper price, or i can get a new one for *hopefully* the current price of the ipod.

I'm hoping that they update the 5GB to the solid state scroll wheel and include the new earbuds and remote at the same pricepoint or lower.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Wait.

MWSF is right around the corner. iPods are going to sell like hotcakes this Christmas season, thus clearing inventory for Apple to release a revised iPod... I'm holding off because of all the iPhone chatter that's begun to build up alongside the imminent release of a new version of QuickTime that supports 3GPP for wireless transfer of multimedia via MPEG-4.

You might find in mid-January that you'll want a new Digital Lifestyle Device besides Apple's 2 year-old iPod. ;)

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
I bought my iPod on 11 November 2001, when it first came out! Sure there has been upgrades since then. But, I still LOVE my iPod. I have about 700 songs on it and enough for a couple of hundred more. I do not use it as an external HD cuz I use Smart Disk Firewire to store my i Movies, etc. I don't use it as PDA cuz I already have the Palm M515. The only drawback I've experienced with an iPod is the battery charge. I had my iPod replaced ( under warranty ) thrice!! Yes 3 times! It would not hold a charge after a couple of hours. Apple stood behind their product and so far this third one is a charm. They may have fixed the 'bug"....I would recommend that you buy a case with it. Yes, go buy an iPod it gets my vote!!

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
I was also meant to buy a new Ipod for xmas but decided to wait until january...I am not waiting for any new revised Ipod (the current one is perfect for me!), just for a reduced price on current models. What are the chances of that happening?

Talon1138

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2002
New iPod post christmas = unhappy switchers

If they release a new model right after Christmas, a lot of customers are going to feel ripped and tricked. That would not be a good thing, especially since a lot of the people buying iPod are potential switchers.

That said: I would LOVE to see a new iPod after Christmas. Personally, I'm waiting to buy one until they play videos too. Imagine that. 20 gig HD, color screen (albeit small); add an output jack to plug it into a TV, and it would be incredible. Watch your imovies anywhere. (and man, would the media moguls hat it!)

I suppose one can always dream.......

PeteyKohut

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Earth
Re: Me too.

Originally posted by iN8

I'm hoping that they update the 5GB to the solid state scroll wheel and include the new earbuds and remote at the same pricepoint or lower.
I hope they bring the moving scroll wheel to the 10 and 20 GB. I hate that solid state wheel. Too stiff. Not as responsive.

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Re: Re: Me too.

Originally posted by PeteyKohut

I hope they bring the moving scroll wheel to the 10 and 20 GB. I hate that solid state wheel. Too stiff. Not as responsive.

I have an original 10GB iPod and love the revolving wheel, but I have tried the solid state wheel on numerous occasions and find it quite responsive. For those that do not find it so, asking for a better solid state wheel would be a good avenue to pursue. The new wheel has quite a lot going for it as far as resistance to dirt is concerned.

The rotating wheel is fine, but the solid state is the way to go.

RL

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Re: New iPod post christmas = unhappy switchers

Originally posted by Talon1138
If they release a new model right after Christmas, a lot of customers are going to feel ripped and tricked. That would not be a good thing, especially since a lot of the people buying iPod are potential switchers.

Well they did that with a PM once......$800 cheaper the next day after MWSF.
So I dont think apple really cares about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.