Buy iPod Nano or Shuffle now or save up for a touch.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hummer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I currently have 150 bucks, I've been music-less ever since my 4th gen ipod died 2 years ago and the warranty expired. I was wondering if I should forget about saving up for a touch and just get a nano or shuffle or is it worth the wait.

2. 119576 Guest

Unless you would greatly benefit from the extra features of the Touch, you' probably be better off with a nano.

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

It depends on how much music you have. If it's 8+gb, then you'd have to get the touch. Also, it depends on what you're gonna use it for. If it's primarily a music player, then the nano is a better choice. But if you like all in one devices that can play video, pictures, go on the internet, play games, take notes or many of the other function offered by the iPod touch if you jailbreak it, then get the touch. Granted, the nano can play video/pictures/games, but not very well with its tiny screen. It wouldn't be a feature that you're gonna use on a day to day basis. So it just all comes down to what you want in an iPod.

4. gvegastiger macrumors regular

It all depends on what you want to use it for. Do you want to have all your music with you at all times? Do you want to manage content, do you want to watch video, do you want to use it while running or just while lifting weights. Do you want to listen to it in the car?

If you just want something to take running or while lifting weights, get an iPod shuffle. If you want to use it for running and other things, get a nano. Maybe even look for a 1st or 2nd gen at a good discount. You cannot use a Touch for exercising, its too unstable and expensive.

If you don't want to worry about managing your content get the iPod classic. If you want to watch video the Touch is the best hands down, however the Nano and Classic will get you buy for TV shows etc. Movies might strain you a little bit. I wouldn't recommend getting a Touch for the wi-fi unless you are around a wi-fi signal frequently (like on college campuses). Most business use a form of encryption that is not compatible with the Touch so don't count on using it at work. Honestly if you want a device for wi-fi/calendar/internet go with the iPhone so that it will work everywhere. (I say this from personal experience).

So like I said it all depends on how you want to use it.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO the nano is the sweet spot in the ipod line. Price, size, storage, appearance, a screen...

Obviously you can do better on any one of those factors (except appearance, arguably) with another model, but I think the nano is what puts it all together the best.

That said, if you plan to watch movies a lot, save up for the touch cause it would be painful to do frequently on that tiny nano screen.

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

So far I've had a 3rd gen iPod 10GB, a 1st gen iPod nano 4GB, a 1st gen iPod shuffle 1GB and a 2nd gen iPod shuffle 1GB.

I've never used an iPod as much as my 2nd gen iPod shuffle. Fill, clip, play. :cool:

It's lightweight enough that you won't even notice it, it has a built-in clip and it's the only iPod you can control without looking at it (no menus, etc).