Buy Ipod Touch 2G now or wait till March?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CSilver, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hi, I have been wanting to buy Ipod Touch since the 1st Generation came out. I finally decided to purchase one but I couldn't decide on the capacity. Now I have one last question that is bugging the most.

From the Buyer's guide it says that Ipod Touch is Neutral state with 50days or so left to be updated.

I know it is an estimated update on Ipod Touch but I would like some advice and or opinions from you guys.

This will be my first ipod purchase... If the update happens in March, I can totally wait but I already ordered the IS for 2G lol...

Thanks -Chris-

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

It won't be updated until September or so. That's what I'm waiting for.

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

oh really??

Thanks for your reply!
    Dang... September would be too much :confused:...
    So you are waiting for the 3G then instead of having a 2G right?

4. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

The 3G touch will be released in September (as said above)

The only possible update to the iPod Touch before then would be a capacity increase to maybe 64gb.

5. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

ty for confiming it.

Alright I guess I won't be waiting for the 3G update... But is it really possible for 64GB to come out within couple months??I would love to see 32GB price to drop...

6. syclick macrumors regular

It's possible. The 32GB NAND chips are either in production or going into production... And memory upgrades were announced for the 1G models at around this time last year, so it's definitely possible.

7. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm that sounds convincing...

Thank you for replying :D So I will definitely wait !! Hopefully they will release 64GB soon around time I get my IS shipped here :p

8. TMC2k1 macrumors member

For a minute when you guys were saying 3G update I thought you guys meant the new iPod's would support 3G! :p I got so excited for all of 5 seconds

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but how do you know the update will be in the month of september? I'm assuming there was a release by apple stating such a statement?

10. wbeasley macrumors regular

wbeasley

yes it's all conjecture on the writer's part...

but you only have to look at history to realise how many september updates there have been. in tough times, companies need to keep improving and adding features to keep their revenue streams up (unless you are Micro$oft and you release something no one really wants...).

I think we could all agree, 99.9999% at least, there will be ipod upgrades in September. At least capacity upgrade, possibly more/new colours and perhaps even some of the features people in this group constantly ask for.

Wanna check back on this posting in October and tell me I was wrong? :)

11. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

lol

lol I do believe you now that Apple will possibly release the updated or even new Ipod Touch in Sept or October... It just hurts my guts to buy 2G at this moment :mad: I really want the 32GB but I think that is just my desire not needs.

P.S. I checked Costco today but they only carry 32GB :( .. 398.99 CAD with 5% since I am in Alberta... I hoped they would carry 16GB... The fact that Costco has 90days return policy just attracts me more than Apple store lol

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

That's right. I want both bigger capacity (my music alone is 30 GB), as well as some better features. I don't need it right away anyway, and so figure I might as well get what I want.

13. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

Maybe the iPhone will be as slim as the iPod Touch 2G in the next release.

14. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

They better do something big with the iPhone or else the Palm Pre will be taking the spotlight. It's unbelievable that they cant get the multithreading ability going. There are a lot of crap phones out there on the market that can handle this.

15. DCBass macrumors 6502

Expecting September

According to the ever-useful Macrumors Buyer's Guide just about every iPod release has taken place in September. There is an off-chance that there could be a capacity upgrade, which, if that happens would probably take place in February. This is a big "IF" though.

Cheers,

DCBass

16. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all for your comments :D

Thanks to all who replied to my little silly question lol
    I decided that since I will be looking into buy Ipod Touch 2G and Alum Macbook soon, I might just wait till the IS comes into my mailbox then decide to buy the 2G. So I won't be worrying about it for now...

But I do have some concerns about waiting for Snow Leopard... lol Dang I hate finding myself "just wait for better one" and never decide to get one actually lol

17. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Storage Bumps should be out this February , I'd wait

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

"should" is a bit of a strong word. just because apple added a higher capacity ipod touch last february doesn't mean the line will be getting bumped this year. it might happen, but i certainly wouldn't expect it.

19. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha so it all depends on the "Luck" I guess... Either wait to see if it gets updated to purchase one or just go for it and get it exchanged it?o_O

The shipping of IS will take at least 2~3 weeks anyways so I guess I am stuck with an option of waiting :p

20. syclick macrumors regular

I'm waiting for a 64GB Touch, but if capacity upgrades don't happen by the end of March, I'll probably just settle for the 32GB model.

21. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

True, but it's Apples style. I think it's dumb to update like that so much but technology is changing so fast , they think they have to keep up ( storage wise ) I'd rather them wait til Sep to see a newly redesigned touch with 64gb or higher

22. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

so no 64GB in feb?

I really hope 64GB Ipod Touch 2G will come out but hey... If it doesn't its fine with me I guess, I will just have to punch my guts and swallow the sorrow once the 3G or updated comes out lol

23. krackers macrumors member

it depends if you really need it.
    If you want more storage you could wait.

24. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

It's not a computer you can just empty the freezer as some might call it get like an 16GB and fill it up if you want something else on it switch out items. If you where looking for new feature I say wait till September.