buy iPod Touch now, or wait for SDK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pit29, Feb 15, 2008.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

I am heavily tempted to buy an iPod Touch (32GB) now... However, I would also like to use it as a trip planner, and I am counting of someone developing a dock-compatible GPS module and the software.

So: should I wait until the SDK is out and somebody announces 3rd party GPS functionality, or should get one now and then be sorry if trip planner functionality requires a 2nd generation iPod touch?

What do you think?

Pit

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The SDK is software. It won't affect your hardware purchase whether it's today or tomorrow. So I say buy now.

3. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Yes, I know - and it's software that I as a customer do not even need. But I was thinking that maybe even with the SDK, no GPS solution will be available. My guess is that as soon as the SDK is out developers will announce products, and do not now because of an NDA?

Also, is somebody aware of a planned 3rd party GPS application? I googled this but did not find anything...

4. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

"It will require a Jail Broken iPhone [or iTouch] and software will be open source." So maybe it won't work in the environment Apple provides for 3rd party developers? And they are actually saying here that they are waiting for the SDK, too... (I would need to have off-line maps.)

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Discuss here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=401219

6. PNW macrumors regular

7. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Yeah, I saw that as well... but then again, there is always a better model for less money once you got one (as with girlfriends :confused:). So, for me the question is really now or after the SDK is announced and some companies have saud what they can do with it, and what not. Count on the price cut beeing one week later.

And I want that thing!