buy ipod touch now or wait till 3rd gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BoobNoob, Apr 7, 2009.

1. BoobNoob macrumors newbie

I hear all this talk about something coming soon.. si it really?

been thinking of an ipod touch for a while now to use as a small planner and study guide/note thing. but willing to wait till summer

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you did a search you'd have already been given this answer:

SEPTEMBER.

That's when Apple usually does the major iPod refresh, and I wouldn't expect the 3rd gen any sooner. Yes, the 3.0 software and the new iPhone are apparently coming out June-ish (well, summer anyway), but the iPod touch will, most likely, be kept until September, just like last year and the year before.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

September? IMHO it's going to be July from what I hear and read. ;)

And sure, definitely wait for iPod refresh.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Isn't it unlikely that they will release the new Touch with the iPhone?

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's nothing but speculation. I'd honestly base it more on what we have seen from past years than from what someone just randomly thinks. Apple had the perfect opportunity to update the touch with the iPhone 3G last year, considering it's design being changed to match the new iPhone, as well as the 2.0 software update...yet they didn't.
    It is probable that the 3.0 software update will be released in July, like with 2.0 last year, but in no way does it mean that Apple has to release a new iPod touch at the same time.
    The 1st gen owners were able to update to 2.0, but the new iPod touch itself wasn't revealed, let alone released, until the traditional iPod refresh in September. Unless there is a source from Apple itself as opposed to people just 'wishing and hoping', then there's no reason that they won't do the same as last year and, as usual, update the iPod touch with the iPods.

6. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

With the past releases, how early was did we know what the new touch's were all about? Did apple keep the details secret until the new product release?

7. kh14 macrumors member

my opinion would be to wait for the new ipod touch to come out...that simple:)

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

best advice is:
    if you need it now...get it. you won't have buyers remorse. say that you do decide down the road to replace it - you won't have to fret too much bro. resale value is generally high. shouldn't have problems getting it off your hands. just take care of it.

why wait all the way to september only to find out you would have been just fine with the 2nd generation model. a lot of the features the new model will have will be activated in 3.0