Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkieMark92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
London, UK
My iPod touch 4th gen is beginning to break with the headphones keep cutting out (new headphones) do you think it is worth buying a new iPod touch 5th gen now or waiting?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
My iPod touch 4th gen is beginning to break with the headphones keep cutting out (new headphones) do you think it is worth buying a new iPod touch 5th gen now or waiting?

Wait and see, if you can wait. The 5th gen has been out quite a while (check the Apple wiki link in my sig to go to the iPod Touch page for details).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Depends if you need it now. The Touch 5 runs IOS 7.1 very well and I consider it one of Apples best current products..

Apple has been on a two year Touch update schedule so expect a new design this September (note - This is on a 32GB / 64GB Touch. If you are looking for a new design 16GB Touch, you will have to wait till 2015 for the probable upgrade).

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
First, I'd check to make sure there isn't any lint or other objects in the headphone jack. I've used compressed air and a small paperclip to get some out of mine in the past. Also you can replace the jack, but it's a bit involved.

Otherwise, I'd maybe buy used or off Apple's refurb section. They go for $189 for 16GB, $220 for the 32GB and $299 for 64GB.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Depends if you need it now. The Touch 5 runs IOS 7.1 very well and I consider it one of Apples best current products..

Apple has been on a two year Touch update schedule so expect a new design this September (note - This is on a 32GB / 64GB Touch. If you are looking for a new design 16GB Touch, you will have to wait till 2015 for the probable upgrade).

Do you suppose the new design will be bigger screen? If :apple: releases two larger screen sizes as rumored, would the touch be one of those sizes? I think a 4.7" iPod Touch 6 would be nice :-D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A6. The next gen beyond will be A7 or even A8. There is no reason to put something as powerful as an A7 into the iPod Touch. Yet.

The next design change for the 32/64GB Touch after this update is fall 2016. They are putting an A7 in this fall rather than waiting till fall 2016 (2 1/2 years). A high priority is upgrading everything to 64 bit.

Another reason is cost. The iPhone 6 is going to an A8 and Apple has a large stock of cheap A7 (i.e. it's cheaper to use an A7 instead of an A6).

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
They are putting an A7 in this fall rather than waiting till fall 2016 (2 1/2 years). A high priority is upgrading everything to 64 bit.

Can you quote sources on this?

You are making an assumptive mistake that the iPod Touch is necessary to be "current" in the line up when it is nowhere near so important. In fact, it is now a tertiary device within the Apple products--it is a kid's version of the iPhone and iPad.

It won't be seen as a prestige device or something needing power or presence. It's a camera/mp3 with some app abilities. Their priority will be to keep it desirable enough while keeping costs low. Slight bumps in some specs will certainly appear, along with a screen mimicking the iPhone. Aside from that it will be fitted with minimum power to do the small tasks people want it for.

An A7 might give 64-bit app power, but there won't be any 64-bit apps needed for the iPod Touch. If it actually comes with an A7, it will be unusually generous of Apple.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You are making an assumptive mistake that the iPod Touch is necessary to be "current" in the line up when it is nowhere near so important. In fact, it is now a tertiary device within the Apple products--it is a kid's version of the iPhone and iPad.

An A7 might give 64-bit app power, but there won't be any 64-bit apps needed for the iPod Touch. If it actually comes with an A7, it will be unusually generous of Apple.
I don't exactly consider putting an A7 CPU on the next generation iPod Touch when an A8-based iPhone will most likely be released current. Besides, putting an A7 instead of A6 on the next iPod Touch will allow Apple to skip a product refresh next year.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Can you quote sources on this?

It won't be seen as a prestige device or something needing power or presence. It's a camera/mp3 with some app abilities. Their priority will be to keep it desirable enough while keeping costs low. Slight bumps in some specs will certainly appear, along with a screen mimicking the iPhone. Aside from that it will be fitted with minimum power to do the small tasks people want it for.

After the Touch design update this fall, the next Touch update 32/64GB will be in fall 2016. IOS 9 will be out in 2015 and will not support the A5 or A6. Apple wants to get everything switched over to an A7 or higher (64 bit).

The iPhone is getting the A8 so Apple has a large stock of low cost A7 ready to go into the Touch. Apple isn't being generous. It's actually cheaper for them to use the A7 in a Touch at this time.

You can bookmark this and thank me in the fall.

I don't exactly consider putting an A7 CPU on the next generation iPod Touch when an A8-based iPhone will most likely be released current. Besides, putting an A7 instead of A6 on the next iPod Touch will allow Apple to skip a product refresh next year.

Exactly. Apple is working at upgrading all its products to A7 or higher to support IOS 9. Also, the only Touch refresh next year will be upgrading the 16GB Touch to this falls new design (32/64GB).

Last edited:

gmm421

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
I had someone from Ebay put in a new battery for $30. Why spend six times as much on a new one?

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
I actually regret buying an ipod touch 5th gen. I only got it for the apple eco system. But now I don't think it's such a good deal anymore. Compared to the newest android phones with a bad esn, this is inferior in most respects.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

You clearly need a new iPod touch now so buy, buy, buy!!! If a new model comes out and you want it then you can always upgrade.

Dirtysand

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2014
That is a good deal, but not for people in the process of trying to sell one. I also tend to use devices until they break (iPhone original for 5 years until it broke last year), so I'm afraid I might be stuck with this until 2019 minimum looking at how long the original iPhone lasted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.