Buy leopard or wait for snow leopard please read PLEASE!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk8now123, Feb 23, 2009.

1. sk8now123 macrumors member

sk8now123

Alright, I edit high def skate videos and my 512 mb ram 10gb hard drive isn't cutting it. I use final cut express and it doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for it. Buying more ram is useless because I can only add another gig. I have an external hard drive 1tb in which I store all my clips and projects. So my birthday is may 1st and I definitely need a new apple computer and so I need to know wether I should just buy leopard or wait for snow leopard. I think they are making new computers when snow leopard comes out to support 16 tb of ram and other features in which I will buy. So the macbooks will be a thing of the past when I get it. SHould I wait until christmas to get snow leopard, in which i'm sure a new line of laptops will come out, or get a macbook now.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. They won't be making new computers just for Snow Leopard. Only the fastest supercomputers in the world have terabytes of RAM.

64-bit supports exabytes, of RAM, anyway, so I don't know why you're limiting it to terabytes.

The current lineup will be one spec bump behind the computers that will get Snow Leopard.

That means, we have today's models... and then there will be a spec bump... and then Snow Leopard will come out.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

What system do you have now?

S-

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I would wait wait if I were you. It's not worth buying a new computer now if you're going to pay an unnecessary $130 a few months later.

5. lazydesi macrumors 6502

My bet will be

they will release snow leopard , iphone V3 in the comming WWDC in june

MB,MBP will be updated in oct 09. So if you really want it go and get it now

6. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

Yes but when I install snow leopard when I buy it, will that make a macbook support up to 16 tb of ram compared to about 4 gb?

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

If this new computer purchase is joining another mac, it wouldn't be worth it to wait. You're going to have to buy another copy of Snow Leopard for the other computer (to remain legal) so buying now and getting a Family Pack later isn't a bad idea.

If you're only going to have one mac after this purchase then it might be worth it to wait, if you don't want to shell out another $129.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sounds like he has an imac

the software is not the limit on the RAM by any means. the actual limit is the hardware. the current chipsets can only support 4GB of RAM, in the current MB's anyway, the MBP can support up to 6GB i believe, possibly 8GB (slows down though).

i would recommend a MB for you, that would be a MASSIVE upgrade from what you currently have (a 200-450MHz iMac im guessing??).

if you need firewire, go with the White MacBook, otherwise go with the Aluminium based MacBook..

9. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

thanks, and buy the way, i have a 1.42 ghz ibook g4

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

baha i was so far off.. was basing my assumption on the HD space.

11. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

yeah I only have 10 gb left cause all the other space is utilized or dissapeared

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha i know how you feel. any closer to making a decision?

13. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

well, I am now going to get a macbook, but idk which one to get because of the ram. I am going to get 4 gb of ram but the macbook white uses ddr2 and macbook aluminum uses ddr3 so idk which one is worth it. I like the firewire port on the white though

14. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Get the macbook with the DDR3. It uses more future-proof parts (i.e. newer/better graphics card, ram, etc.).

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as long as you are CERTAIN you dont need the firewire ports, go with the aluminum macbook with the ddr3 :0 cant go wrong!

16. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Even then, you could find a way around if you need the firewire ports. Get the newer machine!

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pretty sure there is a USB -> FireWire connector. ill try find it!

18. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

wouldn't usb to firewire or watever be a lot slower

19. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

USB -> will make it @ USB speeds.

My suggestion is to just buy a MB or MBP whenever you can afford it. If it's before SL, then so be it. It'll support SL (whenever it comes out) fully so you don't need to worry about that.

An iMac would also work.

20. brand macrumors 601

brand

Hardware support has nothing to do with it right? :rolleyes:

21. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

what? idk what ur saying

22. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

No doubt they'll bring new books out near christmas but you need one now!.

Considering your circumstances mentioned I'd get the whitebook with the firewire, especially as your making videos , I guess your external is FW too, so go whitebook .save a good few hundred $$ too which you can buy RAM and a faster 7200rpm HD with !!! and use the 5200 you take out as a back up disc .

Then, just before christmas , sell it and buy the revision they release at that time which will as usual will be faster etc etc .

This way you miss the first build of a new notebook and buy when they have ironed out more of the manufacturing 'bugs'

Don't think so?? , that;s why everyone is so pissed off that they took firewire out the macbooks .hope you find one a LOT of people will be very happy I imagine

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it will run at USB2.0 speeds, so yes a lot slower. better then nothing though!

hardware support has EVERYHTING to do with it

hes being a smart arse

well i found THIS! its exactly what ive been looking for.. but apparently the support is limited to XP only, i dont know if thats still the truth though it might work!!

24. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well, if it's Firewire 400, it's technically slower than USB, so it'll be at Firewire speed. It it's a firewire 800 port, it'll run at USB 2.0 speed. Of course, those are theoretical speeds, transfers are generally much slower.

They're saying that although it *can* support 16 TB of ram, realistically, the manufacturers of the north bridge (the motherboard chip that interacts with the memory) limit it to maybe 8 GB.

25. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

:eek: seriously, anyone out there tried this ??

fairly sure I was reading about something similar and general consensus was it doesn't work :( can't remember where though , sorry.
    I must get more sleep.