Buy Leopard or Wait for Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thricearch, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Thricearch macrumors newbie

Here is my dilemma--I currently have OS X Tiger 10.4 and I need to run bootcamp. Should I go out and buy Leopard for about $120 or wait until January for Snow Leopard to come out?

This is where it gets tricky--The reason why I need to run bootcamp is because I currently have a Zune (MS I know, I have had it since before my Mac). So I need to run bootcamp to be able to sync my Zune on my Mac because I no longer have a PC. So i can drop $120 on Leopard to use my Zune--OR buy a Ipod Nano for around the same price (maybe $30 more). But then I might as well spend another $130 and get an Ipod Touch because it is obviously a lot better than a Nano.

Opinions? It's funny to see how one MS product can cause me so many problems.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'd say if that's really the only thing you're going to use windows for, sell the zune on ebay, buy an ipod nano (or ipod touch if you feel that will suit your needs better and if you've got the money to spend) and wait for snow leopard (assuming you're using an intel machine)

3. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Is it for sure Snow Leopard will be out in January? I heard conflicting reports on it.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

same here. I highly doubt that snow leopard will be out in January. More like next summer or fall.

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

you should buy Leopard from amazon or newegg for $110.
    Could be waiting quite a while for snow leopard..things have a habit of being pushed back.
    And even when it gets released the first versions or so 10.6.0-10.6.4 are likely to be buggy.
    Leopard is worth the upgrade from Tiger IMHO.

7. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs said at WWDC in June that it would be out this time next year meaning sometime summer 09'

8. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

oh...what about virtual pc for tiger? if you must have windows, i'd say try that. but still XNJB should work well enough right?

9. Thricearch thread starter macrumors newbie

all this does it let you read what is on your zune--there is no file transfer

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, just buy leopard, i think you still have lots of time to enjoy it b4 snow leopard even comes out..

11. Shop macrumors member

Why bootcamp when you can vmware, especially for one app ?

12. isethx macrumors regular

i think you'll be waiting another 7 months at least if you wait for SL

13. northy014 macrumors regular

As I hear it, Snow Leopard will be more of a speed boost for optimising multi cores etc. Go for the Leopard with all the extra features, as SL (as many have said:rolleyes:) won't be coming out till next summer.

14. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Can you not just "acquire" the beta boot camp that was compatible with Tiger if thats the only issue??

15. CTinCT macrumors newbie

What kind of Mac are you using?

The key to making this decision is whether or not your computer can run Leopard at all. And, if it can, whether it will run well or slowly.

Then, the next question is whether your computer will be able to run Snow Leopard. And, if it can, whether you'll benefit in the ways that will matter.

If you have a single core processor and a limited amount of RAM, Snow Leopard may not be worth the change to you when it comes out.

I suspect there are utilities available (a Google search will find them if they exist) for transferring your music files from the Zune format to the iPod format.

16. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, Leopard is leaps and bounds above Tiger; it's well worth the upgrade.

And as many have said, I doubt that Snow Leopard is actually going to be out in January. They'll probably show it off in January, but then announce that it's been delayed. There haven't been many reports of new builds being seeded to developers.

But if Boot Camp is your only reason to be upgrading from Tiger, then I'd look into just getting Parallels or Fusion. If you already have Windows, it's a cheap alternative. I picked up VMWare for $29.

17. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I would go for Leopard. Leopard has all those new features and Snow Leopard is really just Leopard with a few new apps and faster performance. Apple wanted to focus on performance this time rather than apps and features. It's just like Windows, MS is working on Windows 7 which is really Vista, but a lot better according to one MS executive. If you really like your Zune, then just get Leopard and install Windows or just get Fusion or Parallels.

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Leopard is great I think that you would enjoy it. Though if I were in your position I would decide that this was the perfect time to buy an iPod. Then update to Snow Leopard when that came out.

19. fxstb2002 macrumors member

Well, if you buy Leopard, and then buy Windows, you might as well buy the iPod Touch instead. It would be about the same cost.

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Check out this MacRumors thread, it might help. By the way, nothing compares to the iPod in my opinion.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

EXACTLY. Why the heck do people think that it was going to be released in January? Steve NEVER said January. He said, "This time next year." June/July at the earliest (launch at WWDC), or we'll be told the real release date at WWDC.