Buy Lion or wait for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cdubb80, Jul 6, 2012.

1. cdubb80 macrumors member

Hi

Just bought a 256 gb SSD and waiting for my optibay to arrive.

Anyway, before I install it thinking of upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion/Mountain lion.

Since ML is supposed to come out this month, better to wait for it rather than buying Lion? only issue is I will be moving to Australia in 2 weeks so would rather take care of it before then.

2. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

As far as I know, you need Lion in order to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Might wanna research that.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Wait

It's likely to be a much easier upgrade jumping to Mountain Lion.

4. supermarino macrumors newbie

You can upgrade to Mountain Lion from Lion OR Snow Leopard. As this is the case, my recommendation is to wait, it's just a few more weeks! (we hope!)

5. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Nope I would wait and save your self some money. You will be able to upgrade from Snow Leopard to ML for the same price if you went from Lion so you don't have to pay for the upgrade to lion.
    Look here for more info: http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Edit: looks like you kind beat me to it supermarino lol

6. Yabbietol macrumors newbie

Yabbietol

Wait till you get to Oz for ML

Hello
    This may surprise many of you, but in Australia we have both electricity and the internet.

My suggestion is that upgrade to Lion before you go it may be cheaper, but if you can't don't worry too much.

You can upgrade from here either on the fancy thing called the internet or depending where you are moving to, at the local Apple store.

While Australia is full of venomous creatures (jellyfish, spiders and snakes) we mostly all survive and it is a fantastic place to live. Suggest you read Bill Bryson's slightly out of date book "Down Under" to help prepare for culture shock and Australian Humour.

Welcome to Australia.

7. cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

But the toilets still flush in a different direction right?

Anyway I just meant that it would be easier to do all my computer stuff first prior to moving a continent away and have to set up house/Internet/cable.

But I look forward to eating kangaroo steaks and crocodile meat.

8. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

But the Aussies dont know what either of them are for:D

9. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

L to ML

ML will be a free upgrade for anyone buying lion, so it's upto you.

10. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

No its not free if you buy lion now it will still cost $19.99 usd to upgrade to mouton lion. Its only free if you buy a mac from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012

11. Jhowland macrumors member

While, depending on where your comming from, your Internet connection may be slower here in Australia it will still only be a A$20.99 upgrade from snow leopard rather than buying lion for US$29.99 (or whatever it costs wherever you are now) now and then deciding you want mountain lion in a few months and paying A$20.99 again then.

12. meady100 macrumors member

*Some* of the internet, thanks to your Government's censorship of what should be free speech for all. (Not blaming you of course - but don't forget it's happening!). Welcome to Australia - but don't read what we decide you can't.

13. Critterbug macrumors member

Critterbug

Sorry, my bad.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I wouldn't risk it. After the whole iPad 4g advertising debacle, you never know if the Aussies will sue apple because mountain lion doesn't really include any cats!

15. Yabbietol macrumors newbie

Yabbietol

I am surprised there is any one left in england to attempt humour. The UK -United Kingdom had most of the Irish leave 100years ago the rest soon will, the scots will soon be independent, the welsh keep burning down english holiday homes and want to leave. Most of the clever english have emigrated years ago to Canada, Australia or New Zealand. Only one tiny little country is really left in the UK and it rains all the time. Hope your olympics are not rained out.

I also find it amusing a yank from the most litigious society in the world thinks we routinely sue companies. Apple actually broke the law and was penalised for false advertising over the a non existent 4G capability which it advertised. If I lived in the US I would be careful about criticising other countries. The US executes more of its own citizens than almost any one else and allows those that survive the lawsuits and executions to die from lack of health care they can't afford. The US is a great country, but could be a much better place if it looked after its people own better.

Now I have struck back I await the hopefully witty replies.

However, I still would like to reassure the original poster who may be nervous about coming to Australia life will be good and technology and readily accessible and Apple prices are reasonable with our strong $.:)