Buy low-end MacBook Air now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phew44, Jul 4, 2008.

1. phew44 macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

Todays price drop on the high-end MBA confused me. Should I wait for a drop in the low-end MBA? I don't mind much if the price drops or a facelift comes out in 3-5 months, but I don't want it to happen 2 days after I buy mine (or 15, if you count the after-buy-rebate).

So, do you think there's going to be a drop in the 1.6, 80GB MBA soon?

Thanks!

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The price of the SSD dropped, which is why they lowered the price. The baseline MBA has components common to most other laptops. Also, lowering the price of the MBA wouldn't be good for Apple because then it'd be direct competition with the MacBook, which is not something Apple wants to do I'm assuming.

3. phew44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wohoo!

I'm buying it. Pretty, pretty MacBook Air. I like you very much.

Thanks a lot queshy!

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why do you want a MacBook Air? You can get a better mac for less money if you go for the MacBook.

5. phew44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I HAVE a MacBook (white, 2 GHz, 250GB, 2GB Ram).

What the Air has the normal Book doesn't:

- Mobility

I noticed a huge difference in mobility switching from the 3kg, 15" ThinkPad R50 to the 2,8kg and 13" MacBook. Taking off another 1,6kg is a BIG difference.

- Coolness

The look is just incredibly awesome. Pictures can't really show it's beauty.

I also don't think I'll be missing much of the features. In almost 2 years of white MacBook usage I've burned 2 CDs and connected to Ethernet 3 times.

Also the Dollar is so cheap that I can buy a MacBook Air in the US for less than the cheapest white MacBook over here in Germany. So it's not really expensive.