Price Advice Buy mac book pro/air now or wait for Ivy bridge

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by void1916, Feb 20, 2012.

  1. void1916 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #1
    I was going through the threads and there were many discussions on the topic.
    But with recent announcement from Intel that they are gonna delay commercial launch of Ivy Bridge processors, is it wise to buy a mac now or wait till late July 2012 ?

    I don't wanna wait till that time if the performance boosts aren't that much significant.

    So is it worth waiting or get a mac air as an interim solution.

    PS: I want (switching from PC to MAC) but don't need one immediately.
     
  2. KingJosh macrumors 6502

    KingJosh

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Australia
    #2
    wait it out :) new redesign probably too which is always much more beautiful than previous even though you wouldn't think possible
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    Without an idea of what you use your machine for we cannot help you. The general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask about how much better the update will be, it won't matter at all. All modern Macs can load facebook, iTunes, and watch movies perfectly fine.
     
  4. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #4
    My usage
    - Media consumption (60%)
    - Programming (30%) ( I need windows running on it too)
    - Media creation (10%)
     
  5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #5
    Integrated Graphics will see the biggest boost in power, but if you are buying a 15" or 17" Pro then that doesn't matter. CPU power increase will be in the 10-20% range so nothing to write home about (nice but not killer). I see Macbook Airs and the 13" MBP getting the biggest shot in the arm (if the 13" MBP continues) since they rely on Integrated Graphics only. If you need it, then go buy it, if you don't need it right now then wait. I need a faster Mac Mini, but am going to wait until Ivy Bridge because I can get by with my 2011 for now.
     
  6. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #6
    Thanks. As this would be my first MAC, I am kind of tempted. :D

    Either way waiting seems to make more sense as someone is speculating about a total redesign too ...
     
  7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

    zorinlynx

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #7
    USB 3.0 will be the absolute biggest advantage of Ivy Bridge. I say it's worth waiting just for that.

    That's what I'm waiting for; once Ivy Bridge iMacs come out I'll surely be buying one to upgrade my 2006 Mac Pro. USB 3.0 will make external disk usage bliss.
     
  8. AnionicStrength macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2010
    #8
    I have a 2011 13" MacBook Air. For number 1 and 2 on that list, you could use a $300 netbook. As for media creation, I was pleasantly surprised that I could use Final Cut Pro X to edit 1080p shots on the MacBook Air with minimal frustration. There were definitely times when I was waiting around for scenes to encode, but it was definitely useable.

    If by "media creation" you mean mostly mean 1080p video, then it might worth the wait. If you mean mostly graphics or audio, then it doesn't seem like you have much reason to delay your purchase.

    Just my two cents.
     
  9. Raggs, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

    Raggs macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Location:
    London UK
    #9
    I was in the exact same position as you!! My Sony Vaio (5yrs old) is finally giving up on life and i wanted to switch to my first Mac and chose the MBA as do not need a pro. However with all the Ivy bridge talk i was tempted to wait.......

    Well i bought a MBA 13 ultimate on Sunday and with less than 24hrs of having it i love it and am amazed by the improvement over windows and i have not even scratched the surface of the potential it has.

    I do similar things to you and aside from USB3 i do not think i will miss out when Ivy bridge comes out. I am hoping thunderbolt becomes cheaper.......

    Perhaps i will upgrade to Haswell when that come out in 2013 apparently..... I think that will have significant improvments over sandybrigde than Ivy bridge willl.......

    Either way i say if you want it, get it now... you wont be disappointed :D
     
  10. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #10
  11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    #11
    I bought my wife a Mini for Christmas 2010. Immediately got hooked on Mac in general and started researching one for me. Bought a MBP right after the Feb 2011 refresh. Loved it so much I wanted an iMac. I held out for the May 2011 refresh and picked it up that week.

    As much as I wanted an iMac in March/April, I knew it was better to wait. Of course, it was much easier having a new MBP to use until then.

    But the current MBP is plenty powerful enough to do 99% of stuff you would want to do. USB 3.0 would be nice, but I have a nice FW external that works just fine.
     
  12. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #12
    Yeah, but I think I can wait till April .. but I don't know how long it would take Apple to refresh the line base don Ivy Bridge
     
  13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #13
    The question is whether you want a Pro or Air. The Airs will most certainly get the low power dual core processors, which (if the current reports are true) you will definitely be waiting until June or July at the earliest. If you want a Pro, then those will probably updated in April.
     
  14. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #14
    That helps as I have decided to go with Pro.
     
  15. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #15
    For what it's worth, I'm also waiting to pull the trigger on buying a new MacBook Pro (a higher-end 15" to be specific) and I'm electing to wait. At this rate, I might even elect to wait longer so that my MacBook Pro can come with Mountain Lion preloaded and so I don't have to pay Apple another $30 for an OS that I won't install elsewhere.

    We're not due for another redesign for another two years. The last design lasted 6 years, we're just barely past 3 1/2. Plus there's nothing wrong with the current design; it still looks amazing, in my opinion.

    I'm waiting for USB 3.0 as well before pulling the trigger...otherwise I'd have bought this current generation and would've been done with it.

    That said, I'd say go MacBook Pro instead of iMac; unless the iMac has a serious redesign, a MacBook Pro is a much more reliable computer. Plus, your current Mac Pro can still be upgraded to be plenty fast, despite its ability to run Mountain Lion being currently ambiguous.

    iMacs and MacBook Pros update once every 8-10 months on average. MacBook Pros were last refreshed in October, so my guess is that we'll see new models around June-August; hopefully coinciding with the release of Mountain Lion.
     
  16. KingJosh macrumors 6502

    KingJosh

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Australia
    #16
    I agree but I have heard rumors about carbon fibre
     
  17. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #17
    And where did you hear this?
     
  18. Eric S. macrumors 68040

    Eric S.

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Location:
    Santa Cruz Mountains, California
    #18
    Probably very soon. Apple, like most major HW vendors, gets the parts well ahead of Intel's release and launches its products as soon as possible after.

    Personally, though, I never jump on the first release of a new architecture. I'd rather wait until all of the wierdnesses have been shaken out in the field.
     
  19. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
  20. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #20
    I'm sitting on the sidelines waiting for Ivy bridge as well. Only I'm in no kind of hurry at all. I have a 2008 Macbook which is running fine except it can't run ML so I'm thinking I maybe just might upgrade it when ML comes out. By the time ML comes out (summer 2012), Ivy Bridge should be out as well. Meanwhile, I have a 2010 mini that is capable of running ML so I'll use it for any ML testing and who knows, I might use one of those hacks to get ML onto my Macbook and sit out a whole 'nother year.
     
  21. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #21
    Actually, he's not far off base. I'm into cycling as a sport, and it's a well known fact in those circles that Apple hired away one of the owner/engineers for Kestrel bikes, who was pretty much a god in the realm of carbon fiber. Put 2+ 2 together? Can't think of Apple building an iBike so the inferences are pretty clear.

    Then keep in mind that the Chinese pretty much have the carbon fiber layup market cornered.
     
  22. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #22
    Apple has engineering teams all doing all sorts of things. Very few of them ever see the light of day. I'd bank on that not being one of them.
     
  23. void1916 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    #23
    Pulled the trigger

    Thought about for long and pulled the trigger ..

    Ordered a MBP (6770M) version. :rolleyes:

    Hopefully there won't be any buyer's remorse ! :confused:
     

Share This Page