buy mac from Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, May 15, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Has anyone ever bought a mac from Guitar Center?? How was the experience?

2. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

There prices are no better than Apple. What would be the reason to buy from Guitar Center?

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

When I have bought from Guitar center, i usually get a better deal than the advertised price. Not that this would happen with a computer system, but if you are buying more, you can probably get them to come down on the price on the rest of what you are purchasing. Other than that, just buy from Apple.

4. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

closer

it is closer than apple. will they discount price. they had it out on display wouldnt that be an open box?

5. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

wouldnt that be like buying a guitar from Apple

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

one reason to buy from GC (if you don't qualify for any Apple discounts like corp or edu) is the computer qualifies for the 12 month no interest, no payments program :)

7. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I buy everything from GC with the no interest no payments plan! It's amazing. This would definitely be a benefit and a way to buy a Mac if you won't have the money for a year :D

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I almost did, but another local shop offered free memory upgrade and free scanner.

careful you will be slammed with interest if you don't pay off by end of the year. They don't charge you interest during the year if you get it all paid off, but for all the time you didn't pay interest through the year they hit you with after the year is over.

9. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

open box

they had the MBP out of box. is that standard practice? will they reduce price.

10. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I know :) I've purchased a PRS-CE22, Taylor 314, MBox, BOSS BR Recording Unit, Microphones, etc. Always paid off on time.

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't have experience with this particular company. However....

They may sell you the floor model at a discount IF it's the last unit in the store and they either a) don't want to lose your business or b) are waiting for an upgraded model and are getting rid of old stock.

If they made a habit of regularly selling floor models, then they would have to continually open more boxes, set up new floor models, and then take the hit on the reduced "floor model" price over and over. Not an efficient business model.

Then again, it never hurts to try. You may get a break.

12. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I also have found that prices for music gear at GC are highly negotiable. I second the strategy above. If you do buy other gear, come in with printouts of best prices from Musician's Friend or other sources.

13. peletrane macrumors member

I bought a PB G4 from GC several years ago. Fantastic! No problems, and I paid it off over time with no interest accruing.

If you are responsible and pay off the principal in a timely manner, you can usually get 0% interest for upto 12 months, sometimes even longer. GC usually has one of their "once in lifetime" price blowouts at least once a month.

14. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

went in had 2 MBP both were opened up. one had a dent on the front cover and the other was in use as a display. went to apple store