Buy, mac mini, macbook or macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jd65pl, Sep 3, 2008.

1. jd65pl macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just sold my macbook and I'm looking to get a new device. I need a laptop but I would prefer to wait until the supposed new MBPs come out. What do you think to buying a mac mini to tide me over until then?

J

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you have the money and realllllly just can't wait, then I guess you could get a mini...

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest simply waiting until the new models are released and buying what you need/want then, rather than wasting time and energy on buying and subsequently selling a mini just now. The MBP is an excellent computer, fast, powerful, great performance, superb screen, and attractive aesthetics. Wait for the new one; if you don't like it, go for a refurb, quite likely there will be generous discounts on them by then.

Cheers

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Save your money and wait. You'll take a large loss on the Mini if you buy one now. Besides, you sold your MacBook -- you must have a backup device to use temporarily? Otherwise, that's just poor planning.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The waiting is the hardest part... but wait. You won't regret it. Or you could buy one of the perfectly capable machines that are out now instead of wasting your time worrying about having the "latest and greatest".

Unless, of course, you don't need it right now. Then by all means, wait.

6. Andre1980 macrumors member

Well, if you really wanna wait then you should wait for another year when the new Nehalem processors arrive for MB/MBP. These will most likely be the next big step processor wise. Intel considers Nehalem the most dramatic change in Intel microarchitecture since the Pentium Pro in 1996.

So you could get a mini in the mean time (or just have kept your Macbook)..

Buy a Macbook /Pro this year only if you need it badly

cheers

http://guides.macrumors.com/Intel_Mobile_Road_Map#Nehalem_.2845_nm.29_.E2.80.94_Q3_2009

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'll be the (somewhat) dissenting vote here. Get the mini! Or, spend the money on a second hand macbook to tide yourself over. I disagree with the mini loosing value - there have been more than a couple of posts in the fora looking for used ones with little response.