Buy Mac Mini Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rodd13, Sep 2, 2009.

1. rodd13 macrumors newbie

I've been craving for a new computer and I think I want to get the mac mini. You have no idea how badly i need a new computer. I heard that there might be an upgrade on the mac minis soon, but I don't know when. If it's after Christmas, maybe I'll get it as a late christmas present. Anyways, when will the new updated macs come out?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Don't buy anything Apple until after Sept. 9th.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, you are only a week away, so hold off until then.

4. rodd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

I agree. Wait till Sept 9th, then go ahead and order your Mac mini. You might want to check Apple Refurbished. I saw one for $499. I purchased a 1.83ghz Core 2 Duo in January after MacWorld for $499 and it has been a champ. Might want to look into it.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get your mini now. You probably wont see a mini update in a while.

7. Scippy macrumors regular

I don't think that the mini will get refreshed for a while, as it is only in the middle of its cycle, so you might as well get it now.

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

9. ruku macrumors member

i just bought a used 2.26ghz one which means no exchanges but minis have terrible update lag. id say the rest of the line will have quad cores before they update the mini. perhaps just a cpu bump but they wont make a mini thats faster than the low end mbp so pretty safe for now i guess.
    anyway i hope so, though i did need a computer too as i only had a macbook and i was watching hd vids and running flash and its fans were on all the time. very annoying.

10. rodd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a dinosaur computer right now. It can only run a couple of youtube videos. The ones that aren't HD. Buying this mac mini will probably be a big upgrade already.

11. deliriousfenk macrumors newbie

I just got the mac mini about a month ago and i'm loving it. I would buy the base model, wait a week or two, and upgrade the hard drive and ram yourself. it voids the warranty but apple overcharges like crazy to upgrade the thing. Anyway I was in the same boat as you, my laptop died and so i went to the apple store and got the mini. you'll love it although i'm sure you already know that since you've decided on getting it. just thought i'd reaffirm your decision :D

12. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Buy now! This current mini was updated after something like 2 years after the last date. It wont be updated for awhile...

13. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I got the Mac Mini 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo in March at the refurbished price of $550 CAD including tax. It was like $430 or $450 USD.

14. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

+1 with Benchmob31's suggestion--can't hurt to wait a few more days, just in case. Definitely keep an eye on the refurbished section of the Apple Store. I just picked up a refurb base model (2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD) for $499, picked up 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD for $150 and upgraded it myself. They aren't available that often but do pop up periodically.

Actually just checked online and they even have refurbs of the last generation's models so make sure you check the specs carefully if you do in fact pull the trigger--GPU is much improved in the latest version.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I just looked yesterday and for several days no mini's so I go and buy a mini locally for my wife today and there they are.
    it will be plenty for her for years to come she is blind and does not need a fast computer. the g4 was fine but it would not run snow leopard and voiceover got a boost with sl

16. rodd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want the mini to be at least 2gb (preferably 4gb) RAM. And I think I'll just keep it at the 120gb harddrive because I have a 600gb external harddrive.

You think I should bump up the mini's hard drive just in case?

Also, I'm scared of upgrading it myself. I know it will cost much less.
    If I do plan on upgrading it by myself, are there any guides online and where I can buy the RAM and Harddrive for a cheap price?

17. The Hammer macrumors regular

Actually the upgrades don't void the warranty but the upgrades themselves aren't covered.