Buy Mac now or wait for Intel chip switchover?

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
I'm sorry if this topic has been covered but I did a search and couldn't find much.

So I'm close to deciding on a 12" iBook for my dad but then I suddenly had a thought last night. (no dream, just a thought!) Is it worthwhile waiting till 2006 when Apple will switch over to Intel based chips instead of the PowerPC. What are the implications of this change and is this a good thing? Or should I hurry up and buy the iBook before the change?

Thanks as always for your feedback :)

MacVM

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
ebook said:
And, you could probably go by the standard MacRumors answer, "If you need a computer now, then get it. If you don't need one now, then wait and see what comes next."
Yep, I agree. I personally decided to just forget the intel switch because even though my need for a laptop wasn't immensely pressing, I thought it would be convenient. Another huge factor for me was the fact that I don't really like the first edition of a product. I wait to buy until all the kinks have been worked out.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Remember that the Intel PowerBooks will have chips in them (Pentium M's) that have been used in all sorts of laptop settings for years. Instead of Apple and Motorola/IBM/Freescale working together to engineer a laptop, you've got HP, Compaq, Dell, Alienware, and others who've been using these chips. That's not to mention the fact that Intel is no doubt helping Apple fit these new chips into their PowerBooks. I think we will see significantly fewer revision A problems due to the wealth of knowledge out there regarding Intel chips.

So, I say, wait for the Intel switch. Imagine- a dual core Intel PowerBook with a 667Mhz front side bus and 2MB (!) of L2 cache! Simply.....amazing.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
sethypoo said:
Remember that the Intel PowerBooks will have chips in them (Pentium M's) that have been used in all sorts of laptop settings for years. Instead of Apple and Motorola/IBM/Freescale working together to engineer a laptop, you've got HP, Compaq, Dell, Alienware, and others who've been using these chips. That's not to mention the fact that Intel is no doubt helping Apple fit these new chips into their PowerBooks. I think we will see significantly fewer revision A problems due to the wealth of knowledge out there regarding Intel chips.

So, I say, wait for the Intel switch. Imagine- a dual core Intel PowerBook with a 667Mhz front side bus and 2MB (!) of L2 cache! Simply.....amazing.
Amazing, sure, but worth wasting 10-12 months of wait time? Buy now, use the thing and enjoy life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.