Buy Mac now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peteroh92, Mar 24, 2013.

  1. Peteroh92 macrumors newbie

    Mar 24, 2013
    Hi all, new to all this forum business, but would like some solid advice from people in the know!

    I am in the market at the moment looking to purchase a new mac. Currently have a Toshiba which is on its last legs ie (it has a 45 min battery when not plugged in.) I am a business student going into my final year next year so it must be purchased before then. I have been researching Mac's for quite a while now and I am still between a rock and a hard place.

    1) what size MBP should I get 13' or 15'
    2) Retina worth the extra money or would you really notice the difference?
    3)Should I wait for Haswell to be released?

    I have also noticed Apple have just bumped the spec's up in their models so any idea when/if new updates would be released in future? and will there be much of an increase in price.

    Extra info: it will be used for typing up documents and doing presentations, a lot of internet browsing/youtube , also some gaming.

    All feedback is much appreciated! Thanks :)
  2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

    Dec 24, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    For gaming, I'd suggest you go the 15" route for the dedicated graphics. And for your purposes, I don't know if retina would be very useful to you for the added cost.
  3. McGiord macrumors 601


    Oct 5, 2003
    Dark Castle
    Your budget will help you make the decision.
    For portability the 13" will be nice, non-retina to save some money, after you graduate and get a better paying job you can always get a newer model.
  4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

    Jun 15, 2012
    Look at the Buyer's Guides page on this site. That will give you an idea of how recently a product has been updated, and the frequency of updates. (Though there's no guarantee -- Apple don't tell, and sometimes you can wait a really long time for the next model.

    As for whether you should have a 13" or 15" and retina -- Only you can decide that. Go to an Apple store, or other dealer, and see for yourself.
  5. Peteroh92 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 24, 2013
    Yeh I agree I dont have the demand that other users may have for the graphic's heavy programmes they would be running. My logic behind paying the bit extra is I will more than likely have it for 3 years so is it worth going all in.
  6. B... macrumors 68000


    Mar 7, 2013
    The fact that you are on MR and know what Haswell is suggests you keep track of tech cycles. So I woud suggest waiting, so you do not feel left out when the new computers arrive. What are you gaming? For the demanding games the 15" is a must. Get 256 GB of flash or above whatever you do as it is expensive to upgrade aftermarket (that is for the retina).

    You do not need retina but if you want it, go for it. But if you are leaning toward the cMBPs, get it now before Apple gives them the boot later this year (not definite but probable).

Share This Page