Buy Mac Parts From Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hally231, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Hally231 macrumors member

Hi, my macbook pro mid 2010 13" requires a new logic board. A new one on the web is $800 + shipping. I went to the apple store and they say the part is around $400 + fitting. I asked the mac 'genius' if i could just buy the part and fit it myself (there is no warranty on the laptop due to the liquid damage). He said that i have to pay them to fit it and not buy the part by itself. My question is - Is there anyway of just buying the part from them? I mean, i paid $2000 for the laptop 2 months ago and willing to pay for the replacement part so i dont know what is wrong with that. Could i not do the transaction 'behind closed doors' and pay cash?

Thanks for your time Sam x

2. 123macman macrumors member

If you bought it 2 months why do you want to pay for a new one. You get a year warranty on every computer you buy from apple. They should fix it for free.

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Two months and water damage. Man people don't take care of there stuff.

4. Hally231 thread starter macrumors member

Well

Liquid damage voids apple warranty so they cannot do anything for free.

I wasn't being reckless with water i just sat a glass next to my laptop and the rest is history. So do you guys know if apple can just sell me the part?

Thanks

5. Aljovido macrumors member

You might try and contact a certified apple repair center, they might be able to sell you the part. If that doesn't work I'm afraid your only options would be online sites or ebay.

Sadly, water damage voids the Apple warranty.

Accidents happen. Thats life. It doesn't matter how the OP treats their things, they asked a question. Your post doesn't help them whatsoever.

6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Accidents happen most of the time because people are not careful. I have never had anything water damaged and I lived on the beach most of my life. Unless it was a natural disaster I can't see it. I have a daughter and I keep my stuff out of her reach. Most people that have liquid damage on this board got it from drinking over their laptop. Why would you do that? Horrible way to waste a investment.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol Apple themselves told you you couldn't buy it from them.

And they won't budge on that one.

People CAN buy parts from GSX, which is Apple's internal system where dreams are made (warranty check, authorizing repairs, ordering replacements etc).

Unfortunately you probably aren't an Apple Certified Technician, as such, you don't have access to this wonderful world.

As mentioned, you could probably find a disgruntled service provider who could sell it to ya at cost especially if the tip size is 'bout right ;)

Otherwise buy from iFixit or pay up.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Even if theres water damage, if you pay apple to fix it, your warranty will be valid again after the repair :)

9. Hally231 thread starter macrumors member

Yeh thanks bud, ive tried lots of different websites with no luck so far. I will give apple a call soon

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

11. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I concur that GSX is amazing, but for some reason it was really slow today.

Back on track,

Your best best bet is to buy it through an online repair site. Most of the time they are refurb boards. Even the ones you get through apple are sometimes refurbs. If you PM me your serial, i can look up a Mobo replacement cost through GSX so you have an idea of what it will cost, if you do find a retailer. There are two prices though, 1 to buy it out right and the other is an exchange price. Meaning you have to return your bad board.

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't sell just parts. You can purchase the part, but it has to be installed by an authorized technician. That is policy no matter where you go, if an authorized dealer says they can sell you just the part, they are lying and can be sued by Apple (as part of their terms of contract).

Pfft, GSX is always slow (especially when checking serial #s, it's always awkward checking a serial # and twiddling your thumbs waiting for GSX to load while a customer waits in front of you).

13. Hankcah macrumors regular

His laptop is over there in the water.
    People don't take care of their stuff.

14. Hally231 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for your help - The part i need is 661-5559 (2.4Ghz Mid 2010 13" logic board)

I appreciate your help, Sam

15. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Lol is that the best you can do? It still doesn't change anything. I can care less about typing perfect on a board. As long as all my papers a perfect I'm fine.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Have they not updated GSX yet? I heard it was slow from others but that was a year ago. Surprised Apple hasn't done anything to fix that problem. Sometimes I wish they would change iLog. Looking up serial numbers is no problem but sometimes when you need to search and input data, it just doesn't respond and it keeps refreshing itself...lol

But back to thread, OP, I would remove your email address and just PM that person. It's usually not a good idea to post your email in an open forum like that.

17. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's nice.

18. moonwalk macrumors member

Apple is funny even about the smallest of parts, let alone logic boards. I stripped one of those post/nuts holding secure the hard drive on a 2009 MBP. I asked an Apple store tech for a new one. I said I'd order a couple in case of trouble next time. He told me Apple doesn't sell them, and didn't want spare parts being sold on Ebay, etc. In the end he found a spare one on his work bench and gave it too me. It's all about $$$.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Good for you?

Accidents do happen. Instead of preaching how it was avoidable, why not address the post the OP started the thread with?

The OP just asked about how to get a replacement part, not to be lectured about not being careful.

OP: Have you looked at ifixit.com? They sell parts. As does an Apple authorized retail center, at least in my experience as I have ordered individual parts before.

20. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Per contract with Apple they aren't supposed to, and can be sued for doing so. Speaking from experience, Apple is very strict about this.

21. Sam Ash macrumors newbie

Hi iLog.Genius, a very kind forum member by the name of HLdan referred me to you and said you might be able to help me. Please look at my post here:-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11321025&posted=1#post11321025

Any help that you can provide will be much appreciated.

22. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I think the OP was looking for repair advice, not lifestyle judgement. Next time you pay for his equipment you can bitch about how he treats it, now do you have any actual repair advice or can the hot air be added to the ignore list?