Buy Mac pro now?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gerrynjr, Oct 16, 2007.

1. gerrynjr macrumors member

I was wondering... when is it estimated apple will upgrade the mac pro line?
    I was considering buying a mac pro as soon as they started shipping with leopard.. but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea....

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

It's probably not the best timing. The Mac Pros are definitely overdue for upgrades. As you might imagine, yours is not the first thread on the subject. You might want to start here and get up to speed.

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Wait if you can. They should be updated in November - or January... but nothing is certain. :eek:

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Nobody really knows when the Mac Pro will be updated.

LOL I remember we were waiting for updates in November 2006. That is when the Octo's came around, then in April 2007 they finally emerged with one High-end 3 ghz Octo.

Signs point to November and January (MacWorld) though.

5. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Exactly. We all waited and waited.

Do you need the machine right now, or can you wait a bit? It is almost certain by the end of January we will see new machines. Some say November (because the next gen-chips from intel are shipping then).

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm in the same boat there and getting ready to tip the bastard over. I really need a new Mac. Leopard is soooo tempting too. And I think that's what Apple wants us to do, buy a Mac when Leopard is released, then a week later, bam, new MacPros. I'm waiting 2 weeks into November, if nothing, then I buy.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

well yeah, the Mac Pro is gotta be due for a refresh, but I take the approach that I buy a new machine when I need it - hence I bought my 17" MacBook Pro a few weeks back despite Leopard being around the corner - I just needed the machine right then...

If you can manage with your existing box until, say, January, then it's probably worth hanging on. Whenever you buy, though, do bear in mind that it'll be out of date in a few months time anyhow - but it'll still be a great machine. I'll confess I quit worrying about this kinda thing right about the time they discontinued the Mac SE/30 3 weeks after I bought one.. ;)

Probably no help at all, but there ya go. :p

8. gerrynjr thread starter macrumors member

I can probably wait... I've got my HP turionx2 1.6ghz laptop still...
    Sold my other workstation's parts, jsut didnt expect it to sell so quickly...
    Also sold off the 1.2ghz g4 mac mini, also sold quickly (sold it for 400)

Basically to offset the cost of a new system

9. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I want to see what the monitor connector will be on the new Mac Pro before I make the leap. I am about ready to buy an expensive monitor and want to know if Mac is switching to HDMI first.

10. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Well, we can be sure it will still have DVI-duallink on at least one port to support the current monitors.

Have PC videocards already switched to HDMI?

11. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

I don't see HDMI on this revision

I don't see HDMI coming on the next round of video cards. HDMI is not very common on graphics cards, even high-end ones, and most mainstream monitors still offer only DVI/D-Sub connectors. HDMI makes a lot of sense for media centers but I'm not sure it makes as much sense on the PC side.

Besides, HDMI and single-link DVI are compatible using an adapter, so many users wouldn't really be affected either way. It would only matter if you're running higher resolutions than 1920 x 1200 (the limit for single-link DVI). But, can you really see Apple saying, "Sorry, that multi-thousand dollar 30" cinema display you bought isn't going to cut it anymore?"

Nah.