buy macbook in-store or online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iOrlando, Nov 27, 2008.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

what have some people done? Sometimes when i got to an applestore i get kinda nerved up because they are packed...i am often sent from one person to another....vs the ease of doing it online

2. svndmvn Guest

If you have already seen them live and used one, you can stand the wait, I believe buying online saves you some taxes, right?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Umm no. You pay taxes on every big name brand retailer except probably Amazon/eBay.

OP: Buy from the store. I bought my MB last Black Friday from Apple Store Valley Fair. The concierge was really nice and helpful. Everything was done in a very professional manner. Since it was in a mall, when I was walking out, all the people were staring at the white package I was carrying... :D

4. whatevs macrumors member

i would buy online and save the tax. Amazon usually has good prices.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

6. chipchen macrumors 6502

From now through the holidays, buying in an Apple Store (ANYTHING) will make you wanna commit mass murder. If you really need to do that, just go to the orange shirt guys, they're the "concierge" and they will find you a sales person to help you.

7. chipchen macrumors 6502

Oh yeah... my main point was to say if you buy from online, Amazon is a great place to start, and they have rebates and no tax in most states.

8. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

so if i buy from amazon...is it comparable to buying it from apple itself? like if i had an issue...could i just call apple..and all things will be the same? any cons from using amazon..

9. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Pretty sure you could… you get the warranty no matter how you buy the computer as long as it is new.

10. Applepwns macrumors member

They only sell the stock ones at the store. If you want any custom things buy online. That is where i got mine and it arrived in about 5 days.

11. chipchen macrumors 6502

The only difference is this...

- If you buy from Apple online, you can custom configure your machine.

- If you buy from Apple online and purchase a stock configuration, or from the Apple Store and purchase a stock configuration (as they always are in store), and the computer fails or has some defect within 30 days, you can take it to any Apple Store and most managers will instantly replace it with a brand new computer. If you bought from anywhere else, you will have to go through a warranty repair.

- Apple charges a 10% restock fee, most non-Apple stores do not take any refunds at all.

- Apple Store managers have lots of power... so if anything goes wrong, or there are any issues at all... and you are nice and keep pressing, you will get much further with Apple Stores than you will with anyone else.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I bought my MBP with MacMall, it took almost 3 weeks to be shipped, but I saved $500, no taxes charged in most USA states and many goodies with mail-in rebates: parallels desktop, toast, and more to choose.
    So far no defects nothing to complain but my wait time, which I supported it by thinking on the amount of money I saved.
    They do offer some custom models all max out.

www.macmall.com

Your warranty is covered by apple anyway so you will have store manager support anywhere you need it.

13. bonesboom macrumors member

If you're a super lazy dude, online's the way forward man.

14. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Amazon - all the way. Assuming: you live in a state where Amazon doesn't have to ask for taxes; and you want to buy a stock machine (no options). Also, the price is usually very good. I've bought all my apple gear on Amazon, and saved a ton on the price + taxes. Further, it's usually free shipping. And you can always return stuff directly to Amazon within a reasonable time-frame. You are also under full Apple warranty if you buy from an authorized vendor anyway. Finally, it's just convenient - you order, and sit back. You don't have to make trips to a store and fight the traffic, parking and crowds just for the privilege of paying a huge tax on top of all this nonsense. And the other side? There really are no advantages to buying in a store - it's not like they let you inspect the machine before you buy.

AMAZON ALL THE WAY!!!

I'm not affiliated with Amazon in any way, just a happy customer since 1997. All IMHO. YMMV.

15. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Has anyone checked the prices at Amazon for iMacs? There 24" 2.8GHz are priced higher than suggested retail.

16. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My own personal preference when buying something such as a computer is always to buy in-store, not online. Should anything go wrong, I feel that as a customer/consumer I am in a better position when I buy in-store.

Cheers and good luck