Buy Macbook now or wait for update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkiss, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tkiss macrumors regular

You all probably have heard about the Macbook updates coming up soon. I was wondering if you think I should buy a Macbook now(or once I get the money), or if I should wait. I was hoping to buy one by September 15th for the 'Back to School' promotion and get a free iPod Touch, but if they are going to wait until after the promotion, should I stick with the current Macbook or wait for the new?

2. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

If you need a laptop now. buy the macbook. its got very good specs and it will last you a long time. If you don't need one right now and you can wait then wait, but by the time the macbook revision comes out you wont be able to get the free ipod.

Just remember there is always going to be something new around the corner.

3. hellrider macrumors regular

New MacBooks are slated to be released in the third quarter of 2008, between July and September. The new Intel Montevina chips arrive July 14. Expect a new MacBook in mid-late August. (Perhaps early September, though.)

Keep in mind, Apple does still want in on the back-to-school frenzy.

4. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

you might want to browse or search first. This question has already been asked and answered recently. :)

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

the macbook does not have good specs for its price sorry

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

I don't agree with your statement whatsoever.

I do recommend waiting until September for a new Macbook unless you NEED it right now.

I'm puttering along on my 12" Powerbook until then.

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

They want in on the back-to-school frenzy to move their old stock, not new models. I wouldn't hold your breath for new models to come out while the BTS promo is still going on. If it does in say end of August or Sept, the promo in all likelihood won't apply to them, it will only apply to the current model lineup.

8. jonswan macrumors regular

The choice is: buy one of the current models and get very good specs and a machine that's had the kinks ironed out of it so it should work fine, OR wait till end of Aug when the new ones are expected to arrive and (possibly) have early teething problems. I'd personally wait and see what the new ones are like + if you don't like them you can get the existing model cheaper from refurb = that way you win either way.
    And the above poster is right, this question has been asked about 80 million times in the last few months.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So why does a Dell XPS M1330 configured to the same hardware cost $300 more?

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Michael Dell needs the money to get new Jetskis for his private Kona Village Hawaiian resort... :eek:

:D

11. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I'd seriously consider buying a current gen Macbook and getting the free iPod touch.

I had a 1st gen (1.83Ghz CD, combo drive) macbook that served me well for 2 years. It could easily have lasted several more (and was still in pristine condition, even though I hauled it to/from work every day as well as had it over in Iraq with me). Sure, when a new refresh happened, I'd want to upgrade...but I never NEEDED to and I'd get over it quickly.

I purchased a new Macbook a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it. The only reason I upgraded now was that I do a lot of virtualization and the 4GB of ram is helpful in this regard. I also love the current design and didn't want to risk a redesign. :)

12. kabunaru Guest

If you don't need it now, wait for the update.:)

13. Kansas-Kate macrumors newbie

I'm waiting, hoping for a redesign. The 2 changes I'd like to see are:

Exterior: I hope the new MacBook will be brushed aluminum like the iMac and the Air. I don't like the shiny plastic -- the black shows fingerprints, the white can become stained, and they're both a little too slippery.

Trackpad: I hope the new MacBook will have the Multi-Touch trackpad like the iPhone/Touch and the Air.

If I decide I can't wait - or if there isn't a redesign - then I'll get the black MacBook.

:apple: iMac (30-inch 2.4GHz 2GB 500GB)
    :apple: iPod Touch (32GB)