Buy MacBook now? Or wait till September?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by othersongs, Aug 27, 2008.

1. othersongs macrumors member

othersongs

I am buying a macbook for a friend and want to know how worth it would be to wait until September.

Are there rumored improvements? Price drop? How reliable are they?

Help please...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How about you just search, mmkay? Search. Do it. Namaste.

Don't buy now.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There are always "rumoured" improvements, and, very likely, there will be genuine improvements when the updates/new models/upgrades are finally issued. Technology in computers (especially Apple which delights in innovation and genuinely creative and attractive design responses - that wonderful fusion of form and function which is one of the hallmarks of the company - to technical questions) seems to progress, almost exponentially (this very topic is discussed on another thread). So, of course there will be progress. However, it is not given to us to know the future, and therefore we cannot predict this with any degree of certainty.

Moreover, the name of the forum is Mac Rumors, not Mac Facts. Rumours are as reliable as rumours always are. Some are based on informed guesswork, educated conjectures, knowledge of timelines of products and possible future developments in certain given areas.

The old adage applies here; if you need it (or your friend needs it) buy now. If you/your friend merely want it, buy later when the updates are issued. Only you can put a definitive statement of worth on "how much" it is worth to you to have to wait or not, not anybody here.

In general, over the past few cycles, when new models are released, the previous models are then reduced with quite generous discounts almost immediately. The new models have then been priced at the former price of the discontinued line. However, merely because this has happened in the past, does not mean that it is certain to occur this time.
    Cheers and good luck

4. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I was just about to start a similar forum... what exactly are we expecting in the macbook update?

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I wonder how many threads there are on this topic.
    Shall I buy - shall I wait ?

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

omg you crack me up everytime lolol

p.s this too lolol
    "Biography:
    curly black-brown hair with natural white highlights (read: kick-awesome white hairs. It's around 8%) "

7. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Why would you ask anyone here...?? If you need it now (or your "friend") buy it, if not wait...Either way there are hundreds of posts regarding your dilemma...First stop, BUYERS GUIDE at the top of this very page !! :apple:

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Its almost a certainty MB's will be updated. Wait the 2-3 weeks.

9. golfnut1996 macrumors newbie

I just read an article at Apple Insider, and they're projecting the following:

iPods: September
    Notebooks: October
    iMacs: November

Not sure how accurate/reliable they are, but it's on their site...

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

You should probably wait until this time next year. That is what everybody else is doing. Waiting the the mac to come out that wipes your butt for you.

But in all seriousness, flip a coin. If they are upgraded, it wont be anything amazing.