Buy Macbook now or wait until Skylake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cobalt50, Dec 20, 2015.

  1. Cobalt50 macrumors member

    Sep 27, 2015
    I was going to wait for Skylake but there are some nice deals out there now. Functionally, I'm okay with my MBA '11 for the time being.
  2. cruisin macrumors 6502a


    Apr 1, 2014
    There will always be a better machine available in the future. The Air line will get a slightly better CPU and GPU and maybe USB C. Retina is unlikely due to the size of the battery needed.

    If you are fine for now then why upgrade?
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    If you can wait, then wait. If you need something now, then obviously you have to buy now.

    Its quite possible that Apple doesn't upgrade the MBA line, i.e., sticking with the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Right now they have 11, 12, two 13" models and a 15" model. That seems like over-kill and so I wouldn't be surprised to see apple trim their product line.
  4. Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 27, 2015
    I'll probably wait. I want better battery life than my pre-Haswell MBA has. I'd like a better screen, too, since I read so much on the laptop. But three or four months isn't going make much of a difference to me. I was just seeing some good deals and got tempted.
  5. vkd macrumors 6502a


    Sep 10, 2012
    The stuff they are selling now is (always) "the best we've ever sold", so you either fall for that one now and get hooked now, or fall for it later and get hooked later.
  6. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Dec 3, 2010
    I'm waiting, but when I look at the list of others who are NOW offering products with Skylake - I have to wonder what is Apple doing?
  7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    Waiting for the right chips, ie the fastest ones with the best integrated graphics.

    Also probaly just getting things right, instead of putting out a half arse product liek everyone else.
  8. pseudoware macrumors member


    Dec 20, 2015
    Fug it, I just pulled the trigger - new 13" rMBP. Apple price-matched the BB's sale last week.

    I figured if I waited, I wouldn't be sitting here playing w/my new MBP today, or tomorrow, or...
  9. Cobalt50, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2015

    Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 27, 2015
    True that. I just have a blind hunch that Apple is going to do things with Skylake that they aren't going to do with the present processor.

    You are not helping me wait!
  10. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2015
    I saved $300 on a new MacBook so pulled the trigger. The next always has the carrot of better, but sometimes it just works to get the current version if the pricing is right. A personal choice for sure.

Share This Page