Buy MacBook now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jfriedman8, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #1
    I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1720 2.5GHz 3GB BD R/W, Inspiron 1420 2.4GHz, 3GB, BD R, and Mac Mini 2.0GHz 1GB Superdrive. I am debating over buying a MacBook now or waiting for a MacBook Pro with Blu Ray. I want the MacBook so I can have something to use along side my Mini, which I use as a PVR and basically media center. Since Mac/PC are not so friendly to share files, I want a MacBook, but I am hesitant to either have 4 computers or sell one with Blu Ray that is portable. Either way when an MBP comes out with BD I will get that regardless. It is just frustrating not having a portable Mac in the meantime. Basically my question is should I buy the "blackbook" now or wait it out and sell the Inspiron 1420 to use towards a MBP BD whenever that time comes?
     
  2. alexjdb macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2007
    Location:
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    #2
    Do you really need the Blu-Ray reader - in your laptop ? If not, sell both Dells, buy your BlackBook and get a BRD player for your TV.
     
  3. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    VA, United States
    #3
    I just bought my MacBook a little over a week ago and I couldn't be happy. Plus I doubt that Apple is going to include blu-ray readers in any computers for atleast another year. Unless your willing to wait I would just invest in a MacBook or MacBook Pro now.
     
  4. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #4
    I don't need it per say, but I like being able to watch blu ray movies on the road (I have a PS3 for home) on a 1440x900screen is still pretty good. I had the 2.16 Core Duo MBP so I love the OS, but I only paid $1100 for the Dell 1420 thanks to a 30% coupon and I'm not sure spending an extra $400 on a less featured laptop is worth it. I do alot of video conversions and the PC programs I use are faster than what I was using on my previous MBP, but with a Mac its easier to compress the files- The sole reason I really want the MB. Decisions decisions.....
     
  5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    The sole reason you want an MB is for video file compression? And you already have a PC with programs that do this?
    That's an expensive purchase for this use alone.

    I vote for wait. You don't need a computer, you just want one.
     
  6. CKtoph macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2007
    #6
    Personally, I wouldn't hold your breath for a MB Blu-Ray addition. Your absolute earliest point of expectation should be 2009 MacWorld.

    Like other readers have said, if your biggest selling point is simply to watch a Blu-Ray disc on a laptop while on the road and you must have this now, then just get a PC. I'm sure you can find one with an internal Blu-Ray drive for a decent enough price.
     
  7. ahaley1986 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2008
    #7
    I am also trying to decide if I should buy now or wait. I have a dell inspiron 6000 and it's fine, but really starting to slow down and be tedious to use. That being said, I don't need a replacement immediately. Any suggestions if I should bite the bullet and buy a macbook now or wait for something better.
     
  8. ghostguts macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #8
    Unless you're waiting for the new Macbook Pro, I would buy a Macbook right now. Whatever updates are to come are probably going to be minor.
     
  9. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #9

    I have a Dell Insipron 4600 and am going to switch to mac. I'm waiting until June though just to make sure cause I would be pissed if they released new aluminum macbooks like some have speculated after a bought a blackbook. So, I'd say wait for 2 more months.
     
  10. ghostguts macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #10
    By the way, I have a Dell Inspiron 1420. While it's been reliable for the most part, I've noticed it slowing down recently, and I needed something for ultra portability and quick internet/presentation use, which is why I opted to get a Macbook (with 2gb of ram).

    I now use my Dell Inspiron 1420 as a desktop computer, with my Macbook as my presentation/wireless internet surfing machine.
     
  11. DaveWonders macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    #11
    I'd either get a new Penryn MB or save some serious money and get the Santa Rosa refurb for 1050....that's 30% off. If Mac Pros don't have BR, you can bet it's going to be even longer before a consumer device like a MB gets one. If BR is a must have keep the PC.
     
  12. ahaley1986 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2008
    #12
    ya i would be pretty upset if they released a aluminum macbook if i bought one now when i don't really need it. i guess i'll just wait until a new macbook release or if i simply just can't wait any longer:p
     
  13. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #13
    Well since my Inspiron 1720's screen crapped out (I have another post on this if you care) I am returning that and that free's up about $2000. Looks like I'm down to either an ASUS M50 A1 or the MacBook Black and Maybe even an outside shot at a MBP but I'm not looking to overspend on the 2.5 model.
     
  14. danzzz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Location:
    LA
    #14
    Waiting or buying has been an issued discussed in MBP sub-forum forever.

    First, there's no problem with current MB or MBP's design, and I don't really expect the future design will have any big difference or will be much better than the current one.

    Besides, if you need a computer for your work and you are okay with the current ones, buy a one for yourself! Save the time of waiting to enjoy the time of using these beautiful machines.

    As for rumored aluminum MB, I don't really think it'll be coming out soon (at least not in this year). And the redesigned MBP will be only different on the keyboard I guess.

    So, my suggestion is to BUY IT if you want a one!
     

Share This Page