Buy Macbook or wait for update in June - UAE

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Quest3, Apr 11, 2008.

  1. Quest3 macrumors newbie

    Jan 21, 2008
    OK, my situation is quite complicated:
    I'm currently in the US (student), and going to go back home (UAE) in early May. I'm looking to buy a Macbook before I go back home, since I heard that Apple prices are higher there, plus I'm a student here so I get a student discount. Anyway, I heard about the rumor that Apple might change the case of the Macbook and make it Aluminum like the Macbook Pro. Now this confused my plans:
    * Is the update so significant that I really should wait? and buy it in the UAE even with the high price? (donno how higher it is).
    * Would the aluminum case be like the Macbook Pro (more heat on your lap)?
    * Is the case shape the only change or will there be other significant changes? (processor, speed, memory ..etc)

    The buyer'a guide still recommends to buy the Macbook now, even with that rumor, which added more confusion to me.
    Keep in mind that this is going to be my first Mac ever (migrating from Windows).
  2. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2007
    Now is still a great time to buy a MacBook. It is a proven form-factor and it is just recently updated. When a new design comes out in June(if it comes out in June!) there will likely be at least a few bugs to be worked out. I wouldn't mind that so much having 3 Apple stores within a 20 minute's drive but where you will way. If the current MacBook works for your needs over the next couple of years I would say get it today.
  3. Hankster macrumors 68020


    Jan 30, 2008
    Washington DC
    There is ZERO evidence about an update in June. Everyone keeps coming up with "rumors" for the sake of making things up.

    The next update probably won't come until the end of the year. Don't buy into all the BS hype.
  4. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Given that a new hardware platform will be made available by Intel in June, I would say buy now. Why? Because traditionally (over the last 2 years) when new hardware is made available by Intel the MacBook Pro gets it first. The MacBook then sees an update a few months after that. So expect new MacBook Pros in July/August and new MacBooks in Oct/Nov.
  5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604


    Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    Buy now! The rumor about an aluminum case :confused: it's my understanding that WiFi is a bit weaker with regards to locating a signal, but then again, I'm not the owner of a MBP, but I don't see a problem with my MBA's casing. :cool:
  6. Jpoon macrumors 6502a


    Feb 26, 2008
    Los Angeles California
    If you need one now, get it now.

    You'll be happy that you did rather than second guessing yourself on rumors that no one can actually confirm with hard evidence.

    MacBooks in their current state are wonderful machines! Get one and be happy!
  7. Luzzio macrumors regular


    Feb 12, 2008
    i'm no pro but...

    here's something you should ask yourself:

    Will the benefit of having a Macbook one and a half months earlier till June outweigh the difference between the current Macbook's specs and the forecasted one in June?

    From what I know, the specs will probably be pretty much the same (considering it was just updated about a month ago. The big difference will probably be (if true) the case redesign.

    It's up to your needs, really. If the prices of Macbooks in the UAE are way higher than those in the US, I'd suggest grabbing one now.
  8. nidserz macrumors 6502a


    Mar 28, 2008
    Dubai x Toronto
    yeah i lived in UAE. current macbook prices on a reseller is about 1700$ US for a Santa Rosa? 2.2 ghz/1gb/120gb LOL
    if you need it this summer beofre school & can't wait till you get back incase of re-design/upgrade whatever then get it...otherwise wait because its a win win! you will se a possible update or you can just get educational discount + free ipod (assuming the promo is on again this summer)!
    ive decided to wait because of the above win win ^^ :)
  9. Eraserhead macrumors G4


    Nov 3, 2005
    I think end of July/early August will be when the next Intel chipset is due, so the updated case will be released then.
  10. vendettabass macrumors 6502a


    Jul 8, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    its all about 1400x900.. but I think the Air will get that first so it's always one ahead of the MB
  11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think either 13" laptop will get 1440 unless and until the 15" is available in 1680. A budget resolution on a thousand dollar laptop is one of the ways Apple Thinks Different™.
  12. emiratesmac macrumors newbie

    Jan 8, 2007
    We have some prices at our AppleIDX. Prices here are higher than US, but if you want Arabic keyboard you have to buy here. Warranty is worldwide but remember that if you buy a Mac here the seller may be more inclined to help you out with issues/problems. Not trying to tell you to go either way, just adding a few points to the mix.

    Once you get to the UAE, we hope to see you join the EmiratesMac Apple User Group.
  13. Petoz macrumors 6502


    Apr 1, 2008
    I think a macbook update in June is unlikely. That seems a bit too soon, considering they were only updated a couple of months back. I would say buy now, and enjoy the macbook.
    I jut bought one, and its great. I like the current look of it too. So if you need it now, and can get it cheaper now, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Thats what I think anyway.

Share This Page