Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quest3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
OK, my situation is quite complicated:
I'm currently in the US (student), and going to go back home (UAE) in early May. I'm looking to buy a Macbook before I go back home, since I heard that Apple prices are higher there, plus I'm a student here so I get a student discount. Anyway, I heard about the rumor that Apple might change the case of the Macbook and make it Aluminum like the Macbook Pro. Now this confused my plans:
* Is the update so significant that I really should wait? and buy it in the UAE even with the high price? (donno how higher it is).
* Would the aluminum case be like the Macbook Pro (more heat on your lap)?
* Is the case shape the only change or will there be other significant changes? (processor, speed, memory ..etc)

The buyer'a guide still recommends to buy the Macbook now, even with that rumor, which added more confusion to me.
Keep in mind that this is going to be my first Mac ever (migrating from Windows).

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
Now is still a great time to buy a MacBook. It is a proven form-factor and it is just recently updated. When a new design comes out in June(if it comes out in June!) there will likely be at least a few bugs to be worked out. I wouldn't mind that so much having 3 Apple stores within a 20 minute's drive but where you will be...no way. If the current MacBook works for your needs over the next couple of years I would say get it today.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
There is ZERO evidence about an update in June. Everyone keeps coming up with "rumors" for the sake of making things up.

The next update probably won't come until the end of the year. Don't buy into all the BS hype.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Given that a new hardware platform will be made available by Intel in June, I would say buy now. Why? Because traditionally (over the last 2 years) when new hardware is made available by Intel the MacBook Pro gets it first. The MacBook then sees an update a few months after that. So expect new MacBook Pros in July/August and new MacBooks in Oct/Nov.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Buy now! The rumor about an aluminum case :confused: it's my understanding that WiFi is a bit weaker with regards to locating a signal, but then again, I'm not the owner of a MBP, but I don't see a problem with my MBA's casing. :cool:

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
If you need one now, get it now.

You'll be happy that you did rather than second guessing yourself on rumors that no one can actually confirm with hard evidence.

MacBooks in their current state are wonderful machines! Get one and be happy!

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
i'm no pro but...

here's something you should ask yourself:

Will the benefit of having a Macbook one and a half months earlier till June outweigh the difference between the current Macbook's specs and the forecasted one in June?

From what I know, the specs will probably be pretty much the same (considering it was just updated about a month ago. The big difference will probably be (if true) the case redesign.

It's up to your needs, really. If the prices of Macbooks in the UAE are way higher than those in the US, I'd suggest grabbing one now.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
yeah i lived in UAE. current macbook prices on a reseller is about 1700$ US for a Santa Rosa? 2.2 ghz/1gb/120gb LOL
if you need it this summer beofre school & can't wait till you get back incase of re-design/upgrade whatever then get it...otherwise wait because its a win win! you will se a possible update or you can just get educational discount + free ipod (assuming the promo is on again this summer)!
ive decided to wait because of the above win win ^^ :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Now is still a great time to buy a MacBook. It is a proven form-factor and it is just recently updated. When a new design comes out in June(if it comes out in June!)

I think end of July/early August will be when the next Intel chipset is due, so the updated case will be released then.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
its all about 1400x900.. but I think the Air will get that first so it's always one ahead of the MB

I don't think either 13" laptop will get 1440 unless and until the 15" is available in 1680. A budget resolution on a thousand dollar laptop is one of the ways Apple Thinks Different™.

emiratesmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
OK, my situation is quite complicated:
I'm currently in the US (student), and going to go back home (UAE) in early May. I'm looking to buy a Macbook before I go back home, since I heard that Apple prices are higher there, plus I'm a student here so I get a student discount. Anyway, I heard about the rumor that Apple might change the case of the Macbook and make it Aluminum like the Macbook Pro. Now this confused my plans:
* Is the update so significant that I really should wait? and buy it in the UAE even with the high price? (donno how higher it is).
* Would the aluminum case be like the Macbook Pro (more heat on your lap)?
* Is the case shape the only change or will there be other significant changes? (processor, speed, memory ..etc)

The buyer'a guide still recommends to buy the Macbook now, even with that rumor, which added more confusion to me.
Keep in mind that this is going to be my first Mac ever (migrating from Windows).

We have some prices at our AppleIDX. Prices here are higher than US, but if you want Arabic keyboard you have to buy here. Warranty is worldwide but remember that if you buy a Mac here the seller may be more inclined to help you out with issues/problems. Not trying to tell you to go either way, just adding a few points to the mix.

Once you get to the UAE, we hope to see you join the EmiratesMac Apple User Group.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I think a macbook update in June is unlikely. That seems a bit too soon, considering they were only updated a couple of months back. I would say buy now, and enjoy the macbook.
I jut bought one, and its great. I like the current look of it too. So if you need it now, and can get it cheaper now, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Thats what I think anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.