Buy macbook(pro) from Best Buy or Apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mbleopard, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mbleopard macrumors regular

Im not sure if this has been posted before, it probably has. But anyways, I am getting the new macbook or macbook pro in the next couple weeks and I was curious if I buy the laptop from Best Buy and something goes wrong with it can I bring it into the Genius Bar at the Apple store or is that only possible if I buy it from the Apple store?

Its not too big of a deal if I need to go to an Apple store it just depends on what city I'm in at the time. Also if I buy it from an Apple store in Chicago for example I can bring it to any Apple store for repairs if needed correct?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. mdgolom macrumors 6502

yes, you can take a computer purchased at Best Buy to Apple for service. The one advantage I see to buying at Best Buy is they offer 18 months free financing on their credit card a lot of times. Otherwise, I always buy from Apple since it's part of the experience.

3. mbleopard thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm ok thanks for the advice I didnt know that about Best Buy. Yea this is the first Macbook that Im gonna buy so I want the full experience, but it just depends on where im at at the time

4. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

And $5 Reward Points for each $200 purchase... ;)
    Hmmmm...

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I didn't know that about Best Buy; my preference too, would be (indeed, has been) to buy at an Apple store as it is "part fo the experience". The Apple warranties/guarantees are valid wherever you buy the computer. Good luck with it.

Cheers

6. mbleopard thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! I'm really hoping by next Monday or Tuesday to pick one up

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I would buy it from Best buy any day of the week. Returns are much easier and usually question-free. And free (unlike Apple's required restocking fee). Besides, I absolutely hate having to go to the Apple store for anything; the "experience" is not my cup of tea, I guess (perhaps it's my age).

8. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Not true about the restocking fee, at least for laptops. I was there last night buying an MSI Wind (soon to be running OS/X), and their policy is a 15% restock fee for laptops. Didn't look for desktops.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Hmm. I wonder when they added that?

10. osin macrumors 6502

About 3 years ago I had to pay 15% restocking fee for some car electronics, so I would say that they have it for some long time now... :)

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I know they have had restocking fees for certain things for quite a while, GPS units being the last one that I noticed. I just didn't know they had a restock fee on laptops.