Buy MacBook Pro from friend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aarcarr, Jul 24, 2009.

1. aarcarr macrumors member

I've been in the market for a new computer lately since my PowerBook just can't cut it anymore except for surfin the internet. I was first looking at the current 2.53 13" or 15" MBP. I found out a friend is selling his 2.53 MacBook Pro with 4GB of Ram/ 320GB HDD/ Nvidia 9400m & 9600m/ ExpressCard slot and Firewire 800 with the box and manuals. He is including Logic Studio 8 Bundle with box and all discs and manuals and a Fast Track Pro audio interface. He bought the MBP from Best Buy and got the 3 year Black Tie Protection with Accidental damage from handling coverage. He is asking $1650 for all of it. I checked it out today, it is in perfect condition! He says he is only selling it because he wanted to move from Fruity Loops to Logic and pretty much decided to stick with Fruity Loops and just doesn't need it anymore. The initial value of everything comes out to over $3,000 and even with the price drop of the current 15" MBP, still comes to around $2,400. Does this sound like a good deal? I'd also really like to know if there are any specific problems that this model is known to have or anything else I'm in for should I decide to buy.

Thanks

2. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Apple is selling the refurbished 2.66 model for $1699 but without the extra 2 years warranty like your friend's machine and of course minus the software.

It seems like a solid deal.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is he selling it for 2400$? It's good deal if you need the software but if you don't you're paying for nothing

4. aarcarr thread starter macrumors member

No, he is selling it for $1650.

Yeah, I saw those refurbs. That 2.66 is pretty tempting, but I really like Logic and the interface added in the deal. Plus, the tax for the 2.66 kinda kills it. On top of that 3 year Best Buy warranty there is still about another 7 months or so of the Apple warranty

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The 2.66 has the ability to take 8 gigs of ram, the 2.53 can only (unofficially) take 6. Except for that and the slightly higher processor, they're essentially the same machine.

If you need the software, and he is willing to turn the install discs over, it is a great deal.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then it sounds amazing deal. Go for it

7. aarcarr thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, 8GB would be great but even 6GB is a pretty big step from my maxed PB at 2GB. He is selling everything including the install discs for OS X and Logic Studio

8. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

That seems like a really solid deal. I would definitely jump on it if I were in the market for a new computer.

9. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Man, I don't know if it was you who said that yesterday also but the 2.66ghz 15" models can only take up to 4GB of Ram, not 8GB.

The only refurbished 2.66ghz ones that can take up to 8GB are the 17".

I know because I've been looking everyday to see when they'll put the new ones in the refurbished section.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually you're wrong. Apple updated MBP CPUs in March along with desktops to 2.66 and 2.93 from 2.53 and 2.8, and offered 8GB as a BTO.

Refurb page says 4GB max but it's wrong or not updated.

Attached Files: