Buy macbook pro now, or wait for possible update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conanthewarrior, Apr 24, 2018.

1. conanthewarrior macrumors member

Hi everyone, I need to replace my mid 2010, 13 Inch 2.4GHZ macbook pro as it is slow for my needs, mainly logic and also general day to day use.

I will only be able to afford a 13 inch model, so am unsure wether to go for it in 4 weeks when I have the money, or to wait in case a model with a quad core processor is released?

If one is released, will it be likely the non touch bar version will get a processor upgrade, or will it still be dual core?

If it is the latter, I will buy one as soon as I can, as even the £1249 is a very large amount of money for me due to health problems.

It might sound silly, but can I also expect a big increase in speed over my mid 2010 model? I can't upgrade past El capitan due to a problem with the mac I currently have, so will be nice to be able to use high sierra too.

Thanks, Conan.

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Any model over the past couple of years will be a big jump over your 2010 model for sure. Having said that, if you are not counting on this machine to put food on your table, I would wait out a few more months to check out the 2018 model updates before purchasing new machines. It's not like Apple gives you a discount as the year goes on before they upgrade to new models.

3. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

As long as you are waiting 4 weeks to have the money, you should wait a couple more until the June 8 WWDC, where there may be announcements about new Macs.

4. conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

Ok, that sounds good that it will be an improvement.

If I did go for the current model, it would be enough to run logic well yes? I am just worried about the base models 128GB SSD, and also just two USB C ports. However, the ports are something I may have to settle on as I can't afford the model with 4 ports.

Is there any idea on what time this year the model updates will be, that is if there even is any updates coming? I'm not depending on it for work no, but will be using it for music production. I studied this at college when I left school in 2006, and is something I really enjoy doing. One day I would hope it brings me an income, but for now it is just for fun.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I see, June 8th there will be an announcement. Is it generally pretty soon after this they are released, or could it be a few more months after?

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

As I have asked in my other threads this similar question. Waiting for the Update this yea is more significant than Ever before. An Extra 2 Cores is huge that brings the total to 6 Core vs the current 4 Cores.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

The speed will be be faster, but the biggest change will be the display. It will be as if your vision suddenly got 10 times better.

7. conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

I know that 4 cores will be a big deal, I just hope that quad core will be coming to the base models?

I will only be able to afford the £1249 model, as I will need to get a bigger SSD, I really hope it comes to this price range, if not I will have to go for the cheaper option.

Should still make me really happy though, and hopefully enough to run logic well.

Will I be best buying a SSD from apple, or getting one from crucial and installing myself?

8. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

New MBPs come with SSDs soldered into them, so are not user friendly to upgrade. Get the largest SSD you think you will need when purchasing. If later you need more, you can always use external drives.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the cost of these bad boys, I think if you have the opportunity to wait, then do so, even if you don't buy a 2018, the 2017's price will go down

10. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

Why not take a look at some used / refurbished ones on ebay? You'll get a lot more for your money there in terms of specs.

11. conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

I see, I didn't realize, the SSD, and also ram, was soldered in.

It seems I will have to go for a refurb unit most likely, as I can't afford £1749.

Do the refurbished units direct from apple come with scratches on them etc, or are they practically new? I would be sad to spend over a grand and find it scratched up. I could get a nice model refurbed.

12. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

If you purchase from Apple directly, odds are you wouldn't even be able to tell it apart from a brand new machine. Normally, they replace casing and such if there are any scratches.

13. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

The refurb models are usually just like new, no scratches or anything. I heard of a few rare occasions when there was a scratch or two, if it happens and you truly can't stand it, just bring it back during the first 14 days and buy another one ;)

14. conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

I see, refurb it is then.

I gather I will have to go for the current model if I get a refurbished model, but that should be fine. I am not making huge projects, this is just for home use and recording. I enjoy making EDM such as grime and D'n'B, but also enjoy metal, for my metal projects this usually includes Drummer,and a few audio channels for my guitar and bass.

It is the electronic music I run into problems with on my current setup. Fingers crossed the new mac will be OK with this.

I will go for the 2.3 GHZ i5 model most likely, with a 256GB SSD and 8GB ram, saw them refurbed for £1229. I just hope it serves me well for a good time, this one has lasted me 8 years!

15. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

It will be lottery that the 2017 models keyboard survives 8years. Get Apple care.

Hopefully the biggest update will be the keyboard longevity and not the CPU power in the next release

16. conanthewarrior, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

I thought the problems with the 2016 keyboards were sorted? I didn't realize they were still causing problems. I won't be able to afford apple care, but there is a 12 month warranty and in the UK we are covered quite well with goods so that will have to do if I do go for the 2017 model.

If the base model for 2018 when released includes a 256GB HD then I will be able to afford it, assuming the price doesn't go up.

EDIT: Do I have to buy apple care when I buy the mac, or do I buy it near the end of the 1 year warranty? If I buy it near the end, I will be able to afford it, not if it is bought when I buy the mac.

17. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

I have been using a 2012 for a while now, and could wait until WWDC but decided to order a 2015 refurb from the apple store. Even IF something better is disclosed at WWDC, you might have to wait for the supply. Most of all, given the keyboard issues of the 2016/2017 models, do you want to be one of the first to guinea pig the 2018? Why not wait for the others to test drive it and report any problems? Until such time you could be steadily working away at a 2015, saving money on an older, but proven model, and not having to buy a bunch of USB-C adapters.

I've said this before, but the older (wiser?) I get, the more I feel it's advantageous to stay a generation (or so) behind the latest, bleeding edge technology. In the end I think you save a ton of money, and headache.

18. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Don't worry about the "Keyboard issue" while i don't dispute that some people have had issues with their keyboards you only ever hear of people having issues, (people posting on forums and so on) while the majority of happy customers never say a thing so it's really difficult to know if there is a wide spread issue.

I'm due an update myself (currently using a 2011 MacBook Pro) and will be waiting to see what updates happen this year (possibly at WWDC) but i always get Apple Care with Mac's and i suggest you do the same, that way your covered.

19. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Well the 2017 seems to have less issues but reading the forum here tells you there are still way more having problems than with the 2015 and before.

Of course we don't have numbers how many are affected but the repair cost after warranty will be a 700$ bill.

I myself just have the 2016 MB which also has key issues. The MBP and Air I had before didn't.

If you can wait till the next update I would. As I assume that Apple also wants to get the problem solved to save them money for under warranty repairs.

20. conanthewarrior thread starter macrumors member

I will definitely have a think about a 2015 model, I just worry if it will run logic well for my intended use? It definitely meets the minimum requirements, even my current mac doesn't run it too bad and that just meets the requirements exactly.

Does anyone know of a good store in the UK, apart from apple, to buy a refurbished model?]

I ask as I can't seem to find any refurbished 13 inch models, and the 15 inch is too expensive for me even refurbished.

The USB C connectors did put me off actually, as I will be using a focusrite interface which uses a standard USB connection, and also a midi controller, which also uses USB.

As the power is also through the USB C port, I would need to buy a dock, and these are quite pricy, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use both the interface and controller while the mac is charging.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I have an issue with spending nearly 2k on a 3 year old computer and I wonder how many years of service you'll get out of it, i.e., how long will the apps you need will run on it. I'm sure my thinking is old school and it may not matter, but that's just my thought process.

22. Corbet macrumors member

Wait for the July back to school sale/after WWDC (where they'll announce new laptops). Sell the free headphones. Pocket $100.

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My wife and I spent the last few years saving up for our Pros that we ordered last week. Wife starts PhD school this fall so we saved up so she could have a pro for that. Then, after our order, I spend hours reading here of all the problems people are having with the keyboards and have a "oh crap" moment. lol. Well... I was planning on getting AppleCare+ anyway but yeah... Wondering if I can keep a $3k machine for more than 3 years is just insanity. Realy?!

Our Macbook Air 11' 2015 laptops lasted exceptionally - we used them every day for 10+ hours and I even used the keyboard heavily. Was really hoping to get similar usage out of a laptop 2x more expensive.

24. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I think it’s likely that you will get many years out of your new MacBook Pro’s, the horror stories that you read about don’t make up the majority of people, there are a lot of people who are very happy, haven’t had a problem with their MacBook Pro’s and never even read these forums. It’s very difficult to know the numbers but Apple sold a lot of them (according to their last earnings call and the one before hat for 2017), out of all those millions sold its highly unlikely that a major amount have had issues otherwise there would be more reports and more fuss being made about it (after all this Apple and some news outlets like any excuse to write about Apple).

That’s just my 2 pennies worth anyway.