Buy Macbook Pro now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarray3000, Aug 24, 2010.

  1. sugarray3000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys... Buyers guide says neutral - i know its just a speculation site but would you guys recommend me to wait or to buy the MBP now?

    - I can wait 1-2 months from now...

    Do you think we will see any updates before that?
     
  2. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

    CorporateFelon

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #2
    If you want the latest and greatest you are always going to be waiting, but I doubt there will be any updates in the next 2 months.
     
  3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

    fcortese

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Big Sky country
    #3
    Word in the blogs is that the next update is only going to be a little boost in GHz from 2.66 to 2.8 on the high end i7. No really anything new. Maybe by Jan-Feb? there will be something more substantial. If you can hold out, it may have to be until Q1 2011.
     
  4. ceshimm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #4
    i would say buy now, even if you buy it the day after apple's refresh, you are aways 8-10 months away to see next update. well if you can wait, sandy bridge might worth wait, 2.66 -2.8GHz i7 bump is not worth anyway.
     
  5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #5
    i guess it also depends on which model you are waiting for.

    A MBP15 or MBP17 already have arrandale and will most likely see an insignificant ghz only upgrade since they are already on new technology. I would get one of those right now.

    Imho a MBP13 update would be worth waiting for since it is still old C2D technology and something will have to change by early 2011 in that regard. Besides it almost has no customisation options currently, so a HR AG i5 MBP13 would definitely be something worth waiting for ..... i am.
     
  6. sugarray3000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    #6
    sorry - lack of info

    Hey guys, thanks for ur advice
    Here is my buying details
    15", i7, AG
    - So you don't think i should be worried about that?
     
  7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #7
    personally i wouldn't bother with the i7 and go for the 2.4 i5 unless you are doing massive number crunching, since in other scenarios it isnt any faster, but that's just me.
     
  8. pizaman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    #8
    Buy Macbook Pro now or wait?

    I'm planning to buy a Macbook Pro but I don't know if I should buy it now or if I should wait for the next release of new Macbook Pros. Apple doesn't really release the information on new Macbooks until days before they have a press conference and feels to me they might have a release in October or something. What do you guys think?
     
  9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

    Opstech

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #10
    I think you should go out and purchase one and use it. They're awesome machines for everyday use and I think you'll be happy with your purchase. Try the mac only software as soon as you get the MBP. I like to use Pixelmator and Final Cut Express. If you buy the MBP and a newer version comes out, will it hurt you to have a slightly different mac? Once owning one, you'll be happy with it.
     
  10. godaz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #11
    Buy now and I enjoy it, It will only be a small processor bump end of the year anyway.


    I was in the same position as you on Monday, I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 15" 2.53 i5. Couldnt be happier
     
  11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

    fcortese

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Big Sky country
    #12
    +1 except in my case I received my new i7 this past Monday.
     
  12. Drudkh macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2009
    Location:
    UAE
    #13
    I don't see the point in waiting, so I got my 15" hi-res yesterday. :)
     
  13. phooi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    #14
    Full disclosure: I bought a new MBP i7 this week.

    I agree with one of the previous posters. The most that will change before the new revision next year will a speed bump of the processor. Will a change from 2.66 to 2.8 or greater (in i7 case) be a material difference in your computing? No.

    I wish you the best on your decision.
     
  14. sugarray3000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    #15
    Do you guys think it will change from 2.66 to 2.8 at all?? I mean its a very little step forward!? Don't you think they will wait until "Sandy" is ready?
     
  15. phooi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    #16
    Apple history has been that there is a speed bump some time in the fall/winter time frame. I think this has to do more with availability of newer spec processors than anything else.

    As for waiting for "Sandy", I wonder if that will make it in the revision next year. Not sure what sort of R&D work needs to be done given the recent work on the new video processors. Anyway, it is all speculation.

    The thing to focus on is need. If you need it, get it. Otherwise, you can choose to wait.
     
  16. Blaine macrumors 6502a

    Blaine

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    Location:
    Abilene TX
    #17
    I'm waiting on Sandy Bridge. My current mbp core 2 2.93 will do just fine until then.
     
  17. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    #18
    Laptop development is dead

    Apple is only interested in developing new gadgets. There is not much development in laptops from other companies either.

    Very strange. Cell phones seem to operate on a six month "Moore's Law" while laptops use a three year version of that concept.
    --
     
  18. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Ontario
    #19
    waiting for an apple update is always a gamble, yes they will be faster, but i do believe it will not happen until next year in the may ish area
     
  19. Salacion macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    #20
    There really is no reason not to buy one. Since they were just updated, no new revisions will be seen until at least 6 months into the future. So buy it.
     
  20. Yixian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Europe
    #21
    I am waiting for an update to the GPU to be honest, the 330M is really just not worth the price Apple is asking, it's the worst value GPU in a MacBook Pro since the Intel switch and Mac gaming is more important than ever. The iMacs now have exactly the cards that should be in the MBPs..

    So.. any chance of us getting those this fall? The HD 5000 series?
     
  21. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #22
    Where the heck are you getting that from? :confused:
     
  22. thecarrot macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
  23. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

    excalibur313

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2003
    Location:
    Cambridge, MA
    #24
    I bought a 15" about 2 months ago and I really love it. It is absurdly fast! I don't think intel chips are getting a large boost for a while so it isn't really worth it to hold off I don't think.
     
  24. RDL macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Location:
    Harlem World USA
    #25
    Why not buy now if buying a 13'?
     

Share This Page