Buy MacBook Pro Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by believo, Dec 23, 2007.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

Should I buy a MacBook Pro now or wait? Are updates expected in the next few months?

thanks

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

Updates likely next fall. You should definitely wait.

3. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

MacBook Pro will be updated in the next 12 -18 months 3 times if not more.

I'm guessing it will next be around January, based on sensible evidence.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, unless you need or really want one now. :)

7. ivan1234 macrumors regular

The current books are very good, if you're in the market, dont hesitate. :D

8. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

i say wait till after MWSF

and dont listen to any rumors saying Penryn will be with alots of Bugs

cause Processors cant have bugs unless it's an OS

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'd be surprised if there was much, if anything, in the way of changes in the MacBook and MacBook Pro lineup in January, but it does seem increasingly likely that Apple will add some version of a sub-notebook at that time.

Penryn processors in the MB and MBP lineup are eventually going to happen, but there are rumors of delays in the new associated Intel chipset. I'll bet it will be months before the MB/MBP is revamped, particularly since Apple already has more pressing updates on their plate (iPhone, Mac Pro, Leopard). They recently bumped the MacBook Pro with 2.6 gig processors/4 gig RAM and the Santa Rosa chip sets. There may be some tweaks, but a major revamp seems unlikely.

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

how many times do we see this post a day.....

wait dude.

11. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

As a BTO, and the SR update was released at the beginning of june, which is as near as makes no difference, 7 months ago.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wait until MWSF unless you have a good reason to get it now (such as tax).

In the near future, MBP will almost certainly get updated keyboard that are consistent with the new Apple Keyboard and MacBook Santa Rosa keyboard.

13. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Wasn't there a similar post on this a couple days ago? :rolleyes:

I'm waiting to see what MWSF brings in Jan. Probably nothing earth shattering, but anything will be welcome! :D

14. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

What, you mean this never happened?

15. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

dude, correct me if im wrong, the link you showed me are supposed to be a bug of the 1st generation of Intel's release, and that bug we're talking about should already be like 14 years ago by now, yes?

which is likely(definitely) not to appear again on the upcoming Chipset ( Penryn or whatever )

so i dont think there will be some errors or anything on Penryn, and i never knew Santa Rosa got some bugs aswell, they are doing fine from the 1st time they are introduced for the public

CMIIW

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The errors will be in the cheap hardware Apple uses to construct the MBPs they won't test before shipping them to stores. A la the defective Seagate drives, the defective LED screens, the defective logic boards, defective batteries, defective palm rests, defective Magsafes...you get the idea. The bugs won't have anything to do with Intel; they'll be squarely due to Apple's choices in constructing the machines.

17. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Dude, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one just claiming that it's impossible for a CPU to have bugs in the absence of an OS? That is clearly false, as the Intel FDIV bug demonstrates. Think it through.

It's happened before and it will surely (at some point) happen again. More importantly, it's not impossible as you claimed.

18. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Erm, I don't think "bugs" in processors is really something to be concerned about, nor going to happen. If anything, like someone else said, Apple will have manufactured something crapily.

Yeah I keep thinking this same thing too.

19. sublicon macrumors member

Yeah, wait 9 months, thats realistic.

If you are hankering for a new laptop, buy. Whatever is coming out at MacWorld is probably not going to be a replacement for the Macbook Pro line. I could be wrong, but even MacRumors says it's likely not. If you want to be safe though, obviously wait after Macworld.

Me? I bought . . and if they release the new superduper laptop after Macworld, I won't regret it. I've been using a Titanium Powerbook for the last 5 and a half years, I won't be mad.

20. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

[​IMG]

Unless they're specifically taking about the "ultra portable".

21. Hmac macrumors 68020

Ah..I see you discerned my apparently too-subtle sarcasm.

I'm always puzzled by the many posters on MacRumors that fear that their new machine will be superseded shortly after they buy it, as if that isn't going to happen soon enough anyway. I guess it's human nature, but if one needs a computer, one should just go buy a computer. In the case of the MacBook and MacBook Pro, I don't see any major redesigns coming anytime soon. It's never made sense to me to wait on incremental upgrades, which is far more likely in the case of the MacBook lineup.

22. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

isn't the dont buy update are for the november revision? as u can see there are stars referring to the nov MBP updates

but after a long thought, prolly dont have to wait to get MBP's

just get it now, i think im gonna change my mind as well about waiting for the Penryn stuffs

23. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

A BTO is not an update. It is just something that is designed to attract more sales during the holiday season.

I really hope for a redesign though. It seems just right because the Pro-line is on an old design and needs an update. I would at least like to see a refresh along the whole Pro-line.

24. sublicon macrumors member

mah bad, but you KNOW some idiot would've said something like that seriously.