Buy macbook pro or imac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airedaledog, Mar 4, 2010.

1. airedaledog macrumors newbie

Right now, I have a 2000 imac 500 mhz machine, and was able to update software to 2008, before the new intel processors came out. it still works great! But I do not know what to replace it with. I want a mac that will last
    a long time before replacing it. Would you go for the 17 inch screen macbook pro, or the best imac. I am confused because I am not an advanced user and either one would work fine. If you had $3000 to spend what would you all'
    buy?

2. Streethawk macrumors 6502

If you have no need to be mobile i'd think the higher spec of an iMac would suit your needs better.

If you've been using such an old machine for so long, do you really need a high end version? It doesnt sound like you're doing anything demanding with it. I know there's the WANT arguement, but wouldnt the leftover money serve you better elsewhere?

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Desktop machines do tend to survive better than laptops, but that's probably as much down to the type of usage they get as anything.

If you need portability, buy the MBP (I use a 17" MBP as my primary computer). If you don't need that portability, though, the iMac will probably serve you better.