Buy Macbook Pro or Wait?

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
91
1
South Korea
Currently I am using a late 2006 Macbook White. It's time for an upgrade, but should I wait until later in the spring or buy a macbook pro from Nov 2011?

I will be using it for my doctorate degree, as well as teaching. I also, convert a lot of video, create movies on imovie, and I do a lot of podcasting using Garage band.

So should I wait for the Macbook 13 to go Quad or just buy a 13 Macbook pro from 2011?

Thanks

Rich
 

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
4,261
1,019
Oklahoma
Currently I am using a late 2006 Macbook White. It's time for an upgrade, but should I wait until later in the spring or buy a macbook pro from Nov 2011?

I will be using it for my doctorate degree, as well as teaching. I also, convert a lot of video, create movies on imovie, and I do a lot of podcasting using Garage band.

So should I wait for the Macbook 13 to go Quad or just buy a 13 Macbook pro from 2011?

Thanks

Rich
If you not losing money and not frustrated with current machine - wait - IMHO
 
Comment

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
4,669
2,010
It's the old story - if you need it now, get it now. If not, wait.

No one knows what the next iteration of MBPs will be, or when they'll be released.
 
Comment

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
821
34
New MBPs won't be out anytime soon, if you need one get it now. The next MBP is rumored to get a redesign, higher-res screen along with the usual upgrades like CPU, GPU, etc. So, if don't really need one now, its better to wait.
 
Comment

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
91
1
South Korea
Thanks for the comments. I am also looking into getting a IMac so I guess I will just wait and see.
 
Comment

musclemilk

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
8
0
I am also in the same boat as you, haha.
I can't seem to decide upon whether to get the Entry level 21.5 iMac or the 13 inch MBP. But a refresh seems likely within the next few months.. haha
 
Comment

MacScott

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
109
29
Indiana
Something is always getting refreshed. It is always rumored when it will be and what it will be.
 
Comment

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
1,169
1
New Jersey
Personally, if I needed one now and can find a good deal, like Amazon.com, I would get it. I use the 15" MBP and fear that higher resolution may be too hard on my eyes - the 17" model and high rez 15" are totally unusable for some people. I just hope apple keeps this in mind and offer both regular and high rez, else I will have problems staying loyal.
 
Comment

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
66,374
32,973
Boston
Ivy Bridge, intel's new chip set is not scheduled to be released until April/May. Give apple a month after that to update the MBP line and you're talking May/June. Can you wait until then?

The current Sandy Bridge chip set will give you significant performance improvement over your 2006 MBP, and the difference between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is purported to be smaller, though no one really knows since its not released yet.

bottom line, is that we're getting close to the release of Ivy Bridge but its still months away. Wait if you can, to get the biggest bang for your buck, but of you cannot, the current crop of MBPs are excellent.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.