Buy Macbook Pro or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stodge, Feb 7, 2010.

  1. stodge macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #1
    I'm tempted to dip into the Apple world for the first time and get a Macbook Pro. I keep reading rumours about upcoming model refreshes but I don't know how realistic they are. Is it worth waiting say four weeks in case Apple updates the Macbook Pros or should I just bite the bullet and get one?
     
  2. Spandexman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #2
    You're about to get burned! :D i say wait, it's likely soon and a decent upgrade.
     
  3. rmlred macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Rockwell, NC
    #3
    As of right now every thing is pointing to a refresh on Tuesday 2/9/10. So I advise waiting until at least 2/16/10 and if Apple doesn't release the new MacBook Pro's by then, either you can get the current model of continue to wait for the new one. Personally I would wait just in-case it is a big update.
     
  4. Sanderr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    #4
    If you really need one right now and don't really use all the performance, get it now. If you're not in such a rush and if you like the performance upgrade and better future resale value, wait.
     
  5. stodge thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #5
    Thanks - I'm in no rush. I've been waiting for a long time due to lack of funds. So I'll wait - a little longer won't kill me.
     
  6. smithmax13 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    #6
    The update won't be anything special, just buy it now.
     
  7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

    Sneakz

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    #7
    Three letters. LOL. I wouldn't even tell Hitler to buy a new MBP now.
     
  8. Sanderr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    #8
    good choice, even if you would not need the extra performance, maybe we'll be surprised by some nice features, and you might feel better lol:D

    :D
     
  9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

    ARF900

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    #9
    I guarantee all of you there will be no update Tuesday, I highly doubt there will be any further updates to any apple products until WWDC, which isnt until summer.

    OP, the update will give better processors, unless you plan on running some seriously intense audio/video editing programs, you dont need it. I would recommend you buy now, with the iPad release odds of an update before WWDC are slim.
     
  10. moocat macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2010
    Location:
    Norman, OK
    #10
    DO NOT BUY NOW - wait! It will be worth it. Don't pay top dollar for an old system.
     
  11. TrevorCuts macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Location:
    California, Los Angeles
    #11
    Wait

    I'd say wait. You are going to be a lot more disappointed if you find out there is an update a week after you buy it, then waiting a couple weeks to find out there isn't one.
     
  12. jpefjr macrumors regular

    jpefjr

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    #12
    Once again a guarantee worth every penny we paid for it. :cool:
     
  13. WHM macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    South
    #13
    WAIT! WAIT! I sold my early 2008 pre unibody MacBook Pro this week...I will wait a month and if nothing comes out I will live off my iPhone and iMac until the new ones arrives... I keep mine about 2 years and will not buy a new one until the refresh..
     
  14. ipoppy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    You actually might be right on this one. The bottom line is that Apple apparently rejected latest Intel processor and waiting for an upgrade/custom one.
    That might take us to summer time unfortunately.
     
  15. andrew086 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    #15
    What have you two been smoking?

    Why would Apple go 12 months without updating?
     
  16. rmlred macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Rockwell, NC
    #16
    Good point.
     
  17. ffreddi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #17
    Truth is no one on here really knows when the next update is coming. All any of us can do is look at past trends, check out the current rumours and make our best guess. My best guess - a refresh is due, so probably soon. If you're not desperate it's always worth waiting - the refresh will always give you better performance and will likely be cheaper than the model it's replacing.
     

Share This Page