Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpleasepro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2019
Whats up guys and girls,

So I am looking to buy my first Macbook Pro 13 but which upgrades should I be getting. I just learned for myself that apple makes it just about impossible to upgrade memory and storage yourself. Unlike my GF 2012 macbook pro we were able changed the memory to 16gb. My question is should I upgrade to 16gb instead of 8gb memoery or should upgrade 128gb storage to 256gb. I'll be using the my laptop for emails surfing the web and watching youtube, tks

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Whats up guys and girls,

So I am looking to buy my first Macbook Pro 13 but which upgrades should I be getting. I just learned for myself that apple makes it just about impossible to upgrade memory and storage yourself. Unlike my GF 2012 macbook pro we were able changed the memory to 16gb. My question is should I upgrade to 16gb instead of 8gb memoery or should upgrade 128gb storage to 256gb. I'll be using the my laptop for emails surfing the web and watching youtube, tks
I would DEFINITELY recommend maxing out your RAM and getting at least 256GB of storage. Are you looking at the 2017 model or the 2018? (2018 has the touch bar while the 2017 does not). The newer model supposedly has a more reliable keyboard and is also shipped with True Tone display and Bluetooth 5.0. Just a little FYI.

macpleasepro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2019
I would DEFINITELY recommend maxing out your RAM and getting at least 256GB of storage. Are you looking at the 2017 model or the 2018? (2018 has the touch bar while the 2017 does not). The newer model supposedly has a more reliable keyboard and is also shipped with True Tone display and Bluetooth 5.0. Just a little FYI.

Was just looking into the MBP 13 base model 1299 but the fully loaded 1699 looks pretty sweet plus its got the quad core, but been reading around that the 2019 models models might be out in the summer or late fall. So storage space is better then memory you say ?

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Was just looking into the MBP 13 base model 1299 but the fully loaded 1699 looks pretty sweet plus its got the quad core, but been reading around that the 2019 models models might be out in the summer or late fall. So storage space is better then memory you say ?
Personally I would recommend waiting until the 2019 model is released if that’s possible. There could be new/improved features worth waiting for. And as far as RAM & storage go, they’re both equally important. They both perform different tasks. RAM is for short term storing data and a storage drive (SSD) is for long term storage. But your gonna want at least 256Gb if not more. And 16Gb of memory is practically standard these days. I’m surprised Apple doesn’t have a 32Gb RAM option. Quad core processors are definitely worth it when compared to dual core. But in the end, it all depends what you’ll use it for. The more demanding programs your operate the better specs you’ll wanna get. Just keep that in mind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.