Buy MacMini now or wait for Haswell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LeandrodaFL, Apr 20, 2013.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

What are your total guesses on the subject?

I am ready to make a purchase, but would feel bad if they introduce a new version in June. But then again, it may be till october till they refresh. And...will it really make a diference?

Moreover, I want to get Mountain Lion, instead of whatever new OS X version Apple has next. I like Lions. Haswell may keep the Os or introduce a new one...who knows?

2. jlehman macrumors member

Wait

Unless you need it now because your old PC broke I would wait. The ONLY reason I am saying wait is because Haswell is suppose to introduce better integrated graphics. Better graphics means smoother animations and effects in the OS and obviously more power when playing a few games.

If the machine is for web browsing and occasional media editing the current models are more than fine. It's just that the the Intel 4000HD isn't as good as the last gen AMD 6630m, but still capable. I have a friend that owns the current 13" MBA with the 4000HD and it can run Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 half decent.

I'd personally wait, but that's just me.

3. jg321 macrumors 6502

Agreed.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

The next mini won't come out till October or next year

Buy now then sell it right before the haswell comes out

You'll only lose $100-150 probably

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I would love, love, love to see a source for that.

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Wait....

if you can. Haswell will bring better power management/consuption, better integrated graphics and maybe better internals. It is possible Apple updates the mini in October, just to be in line with yearly upgrades of hardware. It is likely also Apple anounces some upgrade in WWDC 2013, deploying it later. Anyways, is hard to play Nostradamus in tech upgrades.

But as I had said, if you can wait, wait. And about next OS, it is my gut feeling (no sources) maybe we can see it sometime in 2014.

:):apple:

7. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I dont think I can wait. When is more or less the date for WWDC? Inst Haswell HD 4600? Not much over HD 4000, I dont play games, just watch movies

8. ToomeyND, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

ToomeyND macrumors 6502

Macrumors wrote the article.

Oh, and if you do a search for Ming-Chi Kuo, you will find that every article since January that references a potential roadmap for any apple product also sites the article posted above.

9. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Not yet...

announced I think....but some have guessed June 10-14....:eek:

:):apple:

10. AC Rempt macrumors 6502

AC Rempt

But then you can always wait for the next generation and the next generation after that. If you need it, get it, and then sell it. Mac's hold their value pretty well, and you'll be able to make a dent in the cost of a new mini when it comes out, whenever that will be.

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Two things - 1) The initial claim was said as if it was fact; it's merely based on speculation... and 2) 4th quarter 2013 could be representative of their fiscal year, which would actually range from June to September, not September to December.

But I suppose we'll see 'em when we see 'em! It'll certainly be exciting.