buy macmini now or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iWinnipegger, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

    Nov 8, 2006
    what's ur thoughts, should i buy one now for christmas or wait till they get upgraded.
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

    May 2, 2005
    I bought one for christmas a few days ago. If it gets updated, no big deal. They're already nice little machines.

    If you want it for Xmas, get it now. And the Buyer's guide has it listed at "mid cycle" so it'll be a while before it gets updated.
  3. gallagb macrumors 6502


    Apr 28, 2004
  4. dpaanlka macrumors 601


    Nov 16, 2004
    I don't see a tremendous Mac mini upgrade coming in January, except maybe a C2D. Of course, once your Apple Care gets nice and expired, you can always throw a C2D in yourself.
  5. SkyBell macrumors 604


    Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    Get it now. Who cares if it gets updated soon? You got the Mini!
  6. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    If you need a computer now buy a computer now. If you don't need a computer don't buy one.
  7. snowy-goofy macrumors newbie

    Dec 7, 2006
    I say definitely wait till macworld and the keynote on the 8th jan its not that far. unless u really need it now i no its hard i dont need but i really want a new imac but I'm going to hold back and wait till the 8th
  8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

    Maxwell Smart

    Jan 29, 2006
  9. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    I'd wait too, if not for the sake of iLife '07
  10. Arcus macrumors 6502a


    Dec 28, 2004
    of my hand will get me slapped.
    For some reason your title looked like "Buy macaroni now or wait" to which my answer would always be BUY NOW!! With cheese of course.
  11. iancapable macrumors 6502


    Oct 4, 2006
    London, United Kingdom
    I haven't had that for so long I can't remember what it tastes like :(
  12. countach macrumors regular

    Oct 23, 2006
  13. BryanP macrumors member


    Dec 12, 2006
    I didn't bother to wait and I'm frankly content with my Mac Mini. I received mine last week by the way.

    If you don't really need it, then I suppose you can wait, but I'd personally just get it now and upgrade later on if you really need to.
  14. Irish Dave macrumors regular

    Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    Buy it now and enjoy.

    I don't really believe the C2D will make a huge difference. I have experience of the Mac Book CD and C2D and there's not much difference in performance.

    Dave :)
  15. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    If you are planning on buying a monitor with the mini I would wait to see if the rumored displays with built-in iSight are released at MWSF. Also, if you are the kind of person who would be outraged if a new mini were introduced in January, wait. Otherwise, buy and enjoy.
  16. TyPod macrumors 68000


    Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
    I'm hopefully going to get one for Christmas. Go ahead, get one now. You will love it.
  17. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 21, 2003
    If you need a computer now and maybe you don't you can't beat the $479 price. Man that is cheap! If you don't need one now you should be able to do even better with a cheaper refurb when the new unit comes out. If money and need are the driving issue go now. Run don't wait.
  18. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    IMO the Minis are not very good value for money.

    For $799 you get a 1.83ghz machine with 512mb of ram.

    For a couple hundred more you get a Core 2 Duo Macbook with 1GB of ram, and a DL DVD burner too!
  19. balamw Moderator


    Staff Member

    Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    FWIW CD vs. C2D may be a bigger deal in Leopard as CD will be 32 bit only and the C2D can go 64 bit.

  20. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    For the record I am actually looking to sell my 1.83ghz Mac Mini, so if I am in your position I'd definitely wait.

    The specs on the mini are pretty dated, and even if there is no hardware refresh at least the new iLife would make it more worthwhile.
  21. zoziw macrumors member


    Feb 19, 2006
    Normally, I would say if you need a new computer now, go for it.

    However, with Macworld so close it is probably worth waiting a couple of weeks.
  22. richinspace macrumors newbie

    Oct 11, 2005
    What happened to Arcus macaroni-cheese discussion? I thought that was a much more interesting discussion, and original.
  23. Damek macrumors regular

    Oct 9, 2003
    New York City, USA
    Kinda... depending on your needs in buying a computer. If you don't need or want a laptop, the MacBook's the one that's not worth it.

    The mini has a DL SuperDrive, too, and 8x versus the MacBook's 6x. Plus, you can bump the mini up to 1GB RAM, giving you a pretty good starter system. Compared with a MacBook decked out with similar specs, you're talking over $350 extra for, really, only the added benefit of the Core 2 Duo at 2GHz instead of the mini's Core Duo at 1.83GHz. I know the Core 2 is better, but...

    And they both suffer from the Intel GMA 950 graphics, so you still won't be getting much of a boost as far as the mac experience goes.

    I say, if you just need a starter mac, the mini's pretty good. If you're looking for something with a little more staying power, better to bump up to the 2GHz iMac instead of the 2GHz MacBook. You get the same Core 2 plus Radeon 3D for $100 less of a price bump. But it's a tough choice if you already have a screen bigger than the iMac's 17-incher...

    Alternatively you could bump up to the low-end MacBook Pro, but of course then you're talking about spending twice as much as the mini...
  24. Damek macrumors regular

    Oct 9, 2003
    New York City, USA

    1. iLife '07 is just around the corner
    2. The next version of Mac OS X is coming later in spring.
    3. There's almost certain to be a hardware bump by that time.

    At the very least, wait until #1. If you're not in a pickle for a computer, I'd say wait all the way until #3. Yeah, that may be all the way in June, but it'll be a sweet, sweet time to get a mini.

    If you really need one now, wait a few weeks until iLife '07 and buy one then, but be prepared to sell it as soon as #2-3 happen.
  25. dongmin macrumors 68000


    Jan 3, 2002
    Actually, the best comparison would be between the $799 refurb MacBook and the $699 refurb Mini, since Apple doesn't sell Core Duo MacBooks anymore. So the $100 more in the MacBook gets you a monitor, webcam, keyboard, trackpad, AND portability. Of course, the Mini gets you a Superdrive which could be a dealmaker for people who wanna burn DVDs.

    IMO, the Mini gives you the least bang for the buck among consumer Macs. The only scenario in which it's not such a bad buy is if you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor handy.

Share This Page