Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baditkoff

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Southern NH
Hello to all,

I am new to the Mac rumors community. I am getting ready to transition from MS to Apple. The plan is to buy the Macbook or Pro 15"/2.4/4gb/500gb time capsule and protection plan. The question is when to do it. The past several years apple has offered great incentives during the summer (last summer was the itouch for student purchases). Does anybody have any insight if Apple would be offering an incentive for this summer? I have children in college and can take advantage of the education discount.

Thanks,

Andy

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
they just gave the MBPs (mb's too?) a speed bump with the release of the 17 inch unibody, so if you are looking to wait for another update on that it will be a while.
Educational discount is fantastic and i doubt if they will be giving any better offers than a free or discounted ipod when the back to school promotion starts.

I made the same transfer to mac last year and I waited far too long for my MPB just because i wanted the new unibody design and immensely cool trackpad. Unless there are definite features you are looking/waiting for, or NEED that possible speed bump, just buy now.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Don't buy the Time Capsule. That thing is the worst router I've ever used (if you like dropped connections it's for you) and to top it all off after about three months the hard drive inside died. So much for "server grade" components.

tbae12

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Apple usually has the free ipod with a mac back to school promotion every summer so I wouldn't be surprised if there was one coming up this summer. It may be better to wait to get the free ipod touch if you don't need the computer right away.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
Usually every summer they offer a back-to-school special. But if you think you are going to enjoy using the computer, buy it now. Technology advances quickly anyways, so even if you were to wait, something new would come out soon. Buy it now and enjoy your new Mac.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Wait for summer if you can for the hopeful release of 10.6 and the back to school sale.

Download the safari 4 beta for your windows machine and change the desktop to a space background. It'll be a cruel lie, but it should hopefully tide you over until then.

baditkoff

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Southern NH
Thank all for your comments. Very much appreciated.

A comment about not to buy the time capsule. Would someone care to give an alternative? I already have a wireless router. Would connecting a NAS to this wireless router give me the same capability? Should time machine care?

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy

desiringGod

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Quick thoughts on TC and Applecare.

My TC has worked fine, but $250-$300 is quite expensive for a router and a 500 GB back up. The are many posts on here about wireless routers with external harddrives attached. Use http://mroogle.*************/ to search for those topics.

Don't buy the applecare from Apple. Buy it from Amazon or Ebay, it is much cheaper there. Also, if you do buy a TC, buy it on the same purchase as your MB and then it will be covered by your Applecare when you buy it.

Cameron08

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Alabama
Don't buy the Time Capsule. That thing is the worst router I've ever used (if you like dropped connections it's for you) and to top it all off after about three months the hard drive inside died. So much for "server grade" components.

Just fr the record, If your looking for a router I have the Air Port extreme and I haven't had any problems. Before I bought that I was actually looking for a good router because a lot of linksys's routers kept dropped connections, then finally tried the air port and it was great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.