Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pablorezende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
Hello
Need help in a strange situation. Stores in my country have the same price for the new MBA i3 (base model) and the MPB 2019 (upgraded to 256 ssd). What you guys think? Is it worth to have the mbp 19 for the same price as the i3, or better stick with the MBA with magic keyboard?

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
The old MBP 13 has the much maligned butterfly keyboard. Unless you are doing graphics intensive work, definitely get the Air. If you are doing graphics work, then get the NEW MBP 2020. Don't be tempted to get the wrong thing.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
I had the same decision to make. Had already purchased the i5 2020 Air but then the 2019 Pro ended up being the same price once the new models were announced. I returned my Air and picked up the Pro. For me, the better screen, performance and cooling was worth the keyboard trade off. And honestly, I like the the butterfly keyboard (at least this one, on the 2019 pro) better than the magic keyboard. I didn't need a Pro and wasn't considering buying one until the price dropped as much as it did. Despite being a generation (or two) behind, the CPU performs better as it's cooled much better.

As for longevity, the keyboard is covered for 4 years if anything is to happen. Thats enough for me.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
2020 MacBook Pro 13" entry level tbh. MBA is not for any 3d work, or intensive work as it isn't thermally made for it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I WOULD NOT BUY the 2019 MBP 13" -- which still has the butterfly keyboard.

If you're going to get a MBP, get either the MBP 16" or the -new- 2020 MBP 13".
Both have the redesigned "scissors" keyboard that won't fail on you.

pablorezende

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2020
Thanks!
I've decided to go with the macbook air i5, guess it'll be ok as I won't use it for video or photo editing. Really afraid of the butterfly keyboard, I know apple would replace it, but is a lot of money to spend in a non reliable tool. Just hope it could handle my normal usage (loads of tabs - 10 or more, netflix and youtube, office, music).
As for the new MBP or the 16" here in brazil they are overpriced (almost 2300 uss for the 13" and 3000 the 16"), the MBA i5 is 1600 us. Apple price policy here, normally I use to buy when trevelling, but covid 19 kind of ruined it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.