Buy MBA now? or should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ijrc, Jan 6, 2013.

  1. ijrc macrumors newbie

    Jan 26, 2009
    Any idea when the next MBA's will be released? What are the latest rumors?

    I'm looking to replace my 18 month old MBA.
    Current stats:
    13 inch
    1.8ghz i7
    4GB ram
    256gb SSD

    Based on currently available MBA on, I would buy
    13 inch
    2ghz i7
    8gb ram
    256gb SSD
  2. davenz macrumors regular

    Jul 19, 2008
    Probably July ish. If you need one now buy it. If you don't, wait.

    Pretty simple....
  3. torana355 macrumors 68030

    Dec 8, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Why would you want to upgrade already? I would wait for haswell as it will benefit Laptops massively when it comes to battery performance, it will also have the much faster onboard graphics (HD 5000?)
  4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

    May 23, 2012
    Sofia, Bulgaria
  5. Booji macrumors 6502a


    Nov 17, 2011
    Yours is more than adequate for most needs - unless you have a burning need to upgrade, you should wait.
  6. ahmet macrumors member

    Aug 27, 2012
    Haswell's onboard graphics' name is HD 4600 and will be twice better and consume less energy. I have a mid 2012 MBA and sure will buy this :)
  7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Jun 20, 2007
    Wait for Haswell. Your current machine should hold you until they are released.
  8. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 5, 2013
    For me it would come down to justifying the cost to myself. It looks like you'd be buying a computer with a .2ghz faster processor and 4gb more of ram. If it were me and I had a buyer lined up for my old MBA and could get into a new one for like 200 more out of pocket, I'd probably do it. However, if you were going to sell your old one for like 700 bucks and then spend another 500-600 more on a new computer, I probably wouldn't do it since you aren't going to see much in terms of gain performance wise. I always like new toys and gadgets, but I have to be able to justify it to myself :)
  9. torana355 macrumors 68030

    Dec 8, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep i have the 2011 model and i think ill upgrade to the Haswell model just for the better battery life :)
  10. designs216 macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    Every time this question comes up it makes me think of that thread "Have A Cookie or Wait" ...
  11. ijrc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 26, 2009
    Thx everyone

    Thanks for the feedback.

    I try to replace my Mac every 18 months. I tend to get a great re-sale value since I have AppleCare to include.

    Based on the Haswell feedback I'll likely hold off another 6 months! Of course, my re-sale value will go down when there is a new announcement...but oh well.
  12. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

    Jan 30, 2009
    I just bought a 13" i5 8gb to hold me until summer when the next model comes out. I'll sell it off around June and pickup the latest & greatest.
  13. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Dec 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Buy now, they're very well sorted out.

    Reliable, fast and efficient there's no reason to wait for a new model. Even though it's Apple, there's always that possibility of bugs or other annoyances.

    The grass is not always greener... :eek:
  14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Aug 27, 2012
    This time next year we will be asking the same question, and people will say, Wait for HD5000, retina (it did not surface summer 2013 :( )

    Every 18 months? sounds tiring just thinking about it. To each his own.
  15. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    The old cliché about 'buy if you need, wait if you merely want' is the advice I would offer. For now, the specs on your machine sound pretty impressive to me, given that any upgrade you are likely to make before rumoured (note, rumoured) upgrades occur, will be, at best, fairly incremental.

    As you have Applecare, you can afford to wait a few months and then see what the summer brings.

    My own position is slightly different as my MBA is 28 months old, a year older than yours, so any change I make over the next few months will be quite noticeable.

    Of course, resale value goes down every time there is an upgrade, - despite Applecare - or a significant change in the product line. That is life, and that is also the price you pay for acquiring a significant upgrade in computing power or radical innovation in technology.
  16. cheezeit macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Wait it out, then if you want buy "the older" model (which would be the current model now) for less and save money that way.
  17. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    Why not wait for Broadwell at that point? :p
  18. aeboi, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

    aeboi macrumors 65816


    Sep 20, 2009
    Bay Area
    If you were watching Intel's CES keynote which is streaming right now, you'd realize that it'd be wise to wait for Haswell for battery life alone. Unless you "need" to have it right now. And I roughly quote, "biggest battery leap in Intel corporation's history."
  19. bp1000 macrumors 65816

    Jul 7, 2011
    At a guess, would Haswell chips be capable of playing arma games at its lowest settings?
  20. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 30, 2010
    San Diego
    I usually say go for it, since the 2012 Air is awesome....but seeing that your Air is only 18months old, you might as well wait a little while until you see slowings. 18 months is pretty new, especially since you aren't getting any more won't really be worth the money to upgrade. Might as well wait awhile
  21. kage207 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 23, 2008
    I'm just guessing but the new MacBook Airs will have 10hours of battery life~
  22. nick_elt macrumors 68000


    Oct 28, 2011
    Generally they will be released in june but from what im reading the low voltage haswell chips wont be ready then (am I reading it wrong) anyway I couldnt wait and i just got a new one last week. Its pretty impressive and i dont regret it. Tech moves so fast you could always wait for the next thing and you will always be waiting.
  23. The Man macrumors 6502

    Jul 7, 2004
    I was contemplating buying a MacBook Air too. But I'm waiting for Haswell. I really hope that it ups the battery life. I would like to have a portable with true 7-10 hour battery life.
  24. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Why are you all saying June? Didn't intel say late 2013 for the new chips? So that sounds like q4, q3 at the earliest. It might still be worth the wait, but I wouldn't bet on June.
  25. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

    Jul 3, 2010
    Although I would wait until Haswell, I would actually skip retina if it came to the air. I do not believe the air has sufficient battery to power a retina display for a prolonged period of time; thus, leading to diminished battery life.

Share This Page