Buy MBA now...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cpb, Feb 2, 2013.

  1. cpb macrumors newbie

    Feb 2, 2013
    Hi all,

    Looking to buy a MBA (11" 8gb ram, 128gb SSD, 2 ghz i7).

    Is it worth waiting for the rumoured Haswell models or taking the plunge (giving my MBP to the missus as she's starting a degree).

  2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a


    Sep 8, 2011
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    IF you need something now, then buy it. If you can wait until later this spring, then wait.
  4. 617aircav Suspended

    Jul 2, 2012
    Depends on you. Worth it is subjective. The only right answer here is yours.
  5. cpb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 2, 2013
  6. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

    May 3, 2010
    Click on the buyers guide tab above.

    "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" is what it says about MBA.

    That is somewhat misleading, since it is averaging years of MBA refreshes, and I think the average cycle time is a bit off. The next MBA will probably be released in Jun or Jul.

    Can you wait until then?
  7. Still100 macrumors regular

    Dec 21, 2011
    I thought there was news from intel at CES that haswell for laptops was delayed till the end of the year?
  8. cpb thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 2, 2013
    I could wait until June/July, it's more price dependant I guess. If the Haswell chips push the price up, it'll be a pain!

    And it looks like the chips aren't being launched until June so not a lock for the next MBA refersh anyway.
  9. ybz90 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 10, 2009
    The price points are highly, highly unlikely to change. The Macbook line will inevitably be refreshed to Haswell, it's just an issue of when. If you don't need it, I'd wait, even if it might be 6 months or more. Otherwise, just go for it. I'm personally waiting for the Haswell Mini myself, but Air suffices for the time being.
  10. NightMoose macrumors newbie

    Oct 5, 2012
    I bought my MBA less than a week ago and I couldn't be happier. Got a good deal on it too (13" 8GB RAM for $1150 New!). The only way I'd regret not waiting is if the new refreshed 2013 MBA came with a retina display, which by all accounts doesn't seem like it'll happen.

    Haswell is a little faster and uses less energy, but the real benefit is the upgrade in graphics. The mid-2012 is plenty fast for everyday use and a faster graphics processor wouldn't do me much good. Only hold out if you can think of reasons for needing the slight upgrade to Haswell. Otherwise, find a good deal on the mid-2012.
  11. macAllen macrumors 6502


    Feb 24, 2009
    Las Vegas

  12. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    I would expect it to be later than Spring. The desktop models are set to debut first. Assuming the OP lives in the northern hemisphere, summer is more likely.

    This is an invalid concern. The new chips typically slide into the price points of the old ones. If Apple raised the price to cover increased cost of upgrades from the tail end of one cycle to the start of another, that would mean annual price increases in spite of relatively static chip pricing from year to year.
  13. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

    Feb 5, 2009
    I would also like to know where you got a 2012 MBA with 8 GB of ram for $1150...because I would jump on that right now...
  14. NightMoose, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

    NightMoose macrumors newbie

    Oct 5, 2012
    BestBuy Canada had a huge overstock sale on MBA and MBP. They are authorized Apple dealers and I just lucked out and happened to check.


    The sale ended on Feb 1st. I posted the sale here, as well as on the MBP forum, on January 22nd but the mod moved it to the forum for buying tips and advice. I had been in the market for less than a week before I stumbled on this sale. A little patience and you'll save.
  15. Still100 macrumors regular

    Dec 21, 2011
    Forget graphics, Isn't the main benefit of haswell the battery life increases? If a 11" air could get 12 hours
  16. kage207 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 23, 2008
    I'm guessing Apple is going to rate battery life for 11" at 7 hours and 10 hours for the 13" with Haswell. I mean that's a 40% increase in battery life, crazy good. I'm just having a hard time seeing anything over 100% increase in battery life.
  17. Rodster macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2007
    #17 is also having the same sale. It's between $99-$200 off select laptaps.
  18. iSayuSay macrumors 68040


    Feb 6, 2011
    I'd say this time of year, Apple is going all retina with MBPs and MBA becomes the low-end with the regular display.

    Haswell is indeed promising with the iGP improvements. Certainly can be a great challenge to GT650M from yesteryear. And having lower resolution than retina is indeed a unique advantage for not taxing the GPU so hard.
  19. Violet1337 macrumors member

    Jan 19, 2013
    I, too, have been stuck with this dilemma for the past few weeks and have been desperately wanting to own a MacBook Air for University use (starts in a few weeks), casual use and some light gaming however, after much deliberation with myself, I have decided to wait 5 or so months for the release of the 2013 Air. Hopefully, the wait will be well worth it.
  20. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2011
    I'm waiting for Haswell to upgrade but I'm waiting with a July 2011 MBA. If you need a system now it makes sense to get one, there are some good deals popping up lately.

Share This Page