buy MBA soon? Or wait until the MBA 2 ?? :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by james341, Jun 21, 2008.

1. james341 macrumors regular

good day to you
    just want to tell you all :
    I'm in love....yes
    I'm in love

i can't wait to go to apple store next time i will be in the U.S (August or september ) and get the MBA.

i have 2 questions so i will be happy if someone will help me

everyone is telling me to wait because there is a new MBA that will come later this year so if someone know something about this MBA 2 i will be happy to get some info like : when and what ....

and second thing is all about accessories: if i can't wait for the MBA 2 what should i buy extra with it :
    like optical drive , usb hub , 3G - this is the most important to me because i need the web all the time , and more

thanks
    and have a nice week

2. Grizzly Adams macrumors member

The MBA only came out a few months ago. I really don't see any major revision being made until at least a year or more from now. The MBA is selling really well and there is no need to for a 'MBA 2'. There are some quirks that apple still has to iron out but that doesn't mean an entire overhaul like I think you are expecting.

3. james341 thread starter macrumors regular

what about the accessories ?
    i will spend 2500$ for the MBA and some accessories so what to but with it?

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I would expect to see an update on the MBA around September - November. Apple normally have a 6-9 month product cycle and that can stretch to the upper limit on a new product. Also there is talk of a new processor in the Autumn?

5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

The three potential upgrades that I see looming in the distance are CPU speed increase, larger hard drive and longer battery life. Maybe we just get two of them wtih the eventual update.

I have no complaints with any of the three so I bought this past week. I'll get to enjoy it for several more months before the next version gets here. The MBA is snappy performance-wise. Battery life is outstanding for me. And, 80 gb is plenty of disk space for someone like me, who uses this strictly as a traveling companion and surfing at home.

I also have .mac and that gives me 10gb (soon to be 20gb) of storage space for my critical files. I couldnt' be happier so afar. Firmly in the middle of the honeymoon phase.

6. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I believe this is incorrect. There are several other threads where we've looked at the design of the Air, the intel CPU roadmap, competing releases (the fall will most likely see a release of a silver Macbook), etc. Earliest I see an updated Air is Macworld January 2009.

The Air is a specialized product that, while popular, has sold units in the 100,000s. Regular Macbooks and Iphones are the breadwinners that sell in the millions, and they'll most likely be the priority in the fall right before Christmas and the gift-giving season.

7. janph76 macrumors member

janph76

Well I don't think MBA will have any major upgrade real soon accept what ScottFitz had mentioned.

I just bought mine 2 weeks ago and never been happier! It's so light and easy to carry and I can now take it everywhere rather lugging my MacBook around.

As for accessories I just need the SuperDrive and USB ethernet connection and maybe a small USB hub but for me I don't need the hub coz this is more of a traveling computer than the main one.

8. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

I think its very unlikely that macbook air would be updated this year.

When I bought MBA i didn't buy accessories because I don't need it. The reason why I bought MBA is because it fits my needs. I don't need an optical drive or a USB hub whatsoever. I don't know a lot of people who bought MBA who needed a lot of accessories.

What I would suggest as a perfect companion with MBA would be the Time capsule. If you have the money, I think you should invest in this accessory.

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

Er, what you need?

If you don't need an external optical, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need an external hdd, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need a USB-hub, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need a 3G-dongle, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need a printer, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need an airport, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need an ethernet adaptor or any other usb-adaptor, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need a sleeve, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.
    If you don't need a cf- or sdhc-reader, don't buy it. If you do need it, buy it.

And so forth.

Seriously, and this might sound harsh, but it seems like this purchase is just for the sake of it. A poser's purchase.

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Well I don't know what country you are from originally, but Apple products are wayyy more expensive outside the USA.

If you are going to buy one here in the summer and then take it back to your country (assuming you don't pay any import fees as it would be a personal item) you could probably sell it used for the same price you bought it new in your home country, and on the next trip to the USA use the money to get the next revision.

That is assuming of course you take good care of your products and keep it in pristine condition without major scratches, bumps, nicks, dirt, etc. and hold onto all original packaging.

11. kylelong100 macrumors newbie

as far as waiting for the 3g internet connection, i dont know if you really need to wait for that. I already connect my macbook air with my simple razr 3g phone using a usb connection. It works great.
    the bluetooth connection does not work too well through

12. foodcoma macrumors member

13. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Just because the chip is released doesn't mean Apple will automatically do an revision (just ask Mac Mini users who have been waiting for a processor + integrated graphics update for a while).

In my opinion, you have to look at these things in terms of their overall place in the Apple product line. The regular macbook is due for a chassis update-- it's rumored to be a silver chassis that shaves off a little weight-- and I think that'll be Apple's main focus going into the Christmas/ gift giving holidays. Regular macbooks sell in the multiple millions per quarter, whereas the Air is a specialized product. I think they'll push the new Macbook and then update the CPU in the Air for Macworld 2009 in January.

All guesses on my part, though.

14. jonswan macrumors regular

I doubt there'll be MBA revisions until Jan '09 seeing as the MBA is still new and it performs brilliantly.

Add ons: I bought the MBA superdrive + the ethernet adaptor for work as there's no wireless.

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

Anyway, just because you (claim you) didn't buy it as such, that doesn't mean it's not a chav-laptop, nor that a given person can't buy it for posing "purposes". It's like saying that just because one person think it fine to use the MBA for rendering and movie work, then it must be suited to that kind of work.

Btw, show me where I stated that _only_ posers bought the chav-item. Oh, wait, you can't.

Edit, as I think you still don't get even the gist of it:

I'm suggesting, that the _OP's_ purchase is one of a poser's. That HE is considering this, simply because HE would like to pose. Now, why do I think so? Well, he has no clue as to his needs, not even his wants, but is asking what to buy with it. Someone who had specific needs wouldn't need to ask what accessories to buy.

16. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

never

i would wait cause as cool as the air is it just doesnt cut it now but an update might increase the specs enough to justify the price
    at lease a 2 ghz processor standard and 2 usb ports would do it for me

17. keltorsori macrumors regular

I'd love to get an MBA, but I'm waiting until one has at least 2 USB ports. I don't need an optical drive or high-end graphics, but 2 USB ports is a must (and firewire would be super-nice, but I can relegate video to the desktop). What I do need is a laptop that doesn't weight a ton, which the MBA fulfills wonderfully. Hopefully for once Apple will see a need to add something to a system rather than take it away.

18. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

all I can add is that I bought my MBA as a light weight notebook to do work on when I am on the move/roof/bed etc. For that its great.

I did get the superdriver as I like to be able to burn DVDs of pictures when I shoot on location, but otherwise I haven't needed any more add-ons for it.

It does not suit everyones needs, but then those who need more can buy a macbook/pro.

I use my big mac (pardon the awful pun) for day to day stuff, and the air for others. Its great for mobile stuff for me. (its cool to have my MSN/Web open on it while I am in bootcamp playing COD4 also)

People who say its a chav/poser purchase are childish in my opinion and obviously have some issue to resolve. I certainly don't find the need to 'pose' with it and if I did it would make me shallow and have somethingto prove to the world.

Yes I agree the price is a little high for the spec, but then its what I wanted and I was ok to pay £1049 for something that truly fitted my needs.

POINT: Get what you need, not what you want to 'show-off' with! Don't slag off something becuase you have strong views. discusion of such views is ok, but blatant flaming is not the way to get your point accross.

:)

19. foodcoma macrumors member

I actually just want them to solve the current issues that we've been reading about - heat and core shutdown. The rest I am actually ok with :)

From what limited information I have read, the new chip set seems to address those issues. So, I was hoping for a MBA refresh later this year. In the past, has apple ever waited a full year before they refreshed their products?

20. glitch44 macrumors 65816

yes.

refresh times here.

21. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

The only heat problems I have is that its 30-bloody-degrees in my bedroom (with ceiling and standing fan on) and no air-con! lol - yes macbook air gets a little hot, but many modern laptops do - 60+degs on the core is common.

I guess if I used it on my lap all the time it might be a problem, but as I like to rest it on stuff and lie down while surfing/vid watching/slacking(working) then its ok.

I havent had a crash or core shutdown on mine (even with CS3 and CorelDraw open at the same time)

maybe I am lucky (maybe the others are pushing an ultra portable too far?)

I am very very very pleased with mine.

22. foodcoma macrumors member

Always good to hear from people who aren't having problems with their macbook air. May I ask if you have the ssd or hdd version, and when you bought it?

23. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

Most likely the new update will come in 2009.

24. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

25. jk1002 macrumors member

While I agree that it is not going to sell millions I still believe it has it's place. Not upgrading before christmas may turn some buyers off. I doubt we see 2nd USB or something form changing.

I do think though a bigger SSD or a faster HDD would be possible by then without upsetting existing customers much. Small speed bump on processor as well.

Ther emight be a lot of customers (like myself) who do not buy 1st rev. I have a PB12 1.5 so I can hold out for bit.

For me it will be either the MBA or the MB if it comes out in silver. I just dont want a 15" screen. 13.3 seems optimal to me.

Cheers