Buy MBP 15" in September or wait for Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermir4444, May 27, 2010.

  1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

    ermir4444

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto On
    #1
    Hey I will need a new laptop by September. Im in between 13" and 15" MBP. I am in a dilema if i should buy in September or wait for the refresh wich would come on December or January since the C2D on 13" will be EOL'd. Do you think the MBP 15" will get updated along with the 13" and will they get Sandy Bridge by that time or will they just stick with higher clocked Arrandales?
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    Does the current model suit your needs? Can you wait until January, February, or even later? That should help you decide.
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    If you need a laptop by September I don't see how you can wait until December or January.
     
  4. Sefk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    #4
    Geez, what are do doing with your computer? Mathematical computation?

    They have 7 Mac Pro with 2 quad-core Xeon (yes, 8 cores in total) and 8 gb of memory at the geometry researcher center that I am working in, and for facebooking they are about as fast as my old pc with an overclock'ed athlon 3000+ (single core) with 1gb of memory (and even for computations, I can only "feel" the boost the the 2X quad-core when I am running multiple computations at the same time).
     
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040

    cluthz

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Location:
    Norway
    #5
    Your sig says you already have a 2.26GHz Macbook Pro, so unless you absolutely need a new computer I'd wait until next major update is around.
    You might have to wait until 2011.

    I have usually got a new computer every 24 months, but I had the SR MBP with 2.2GHz C2D (bought june 2007) and last summer I decided to not replace it, because the replacement would be a 2.66GHz C2D, which in my opinion wouldn't be very cost effective, seeing as my 2007 C2D was upgraded with 4GB RAM and 320GB HD. "Luckily" the machine died on me and Apple replaced it with a i5, for free!
     
  6. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

    ermir4444

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto On
    #6
    Im sorry i did not explain. I will be giving my computer to my mom and i will be coming back to Canada in September for school so i will need one then.
    I could technically wait for 3 month until maybe January using the lab's computers. I just do not know if the next upgrade will be worth the 3-4 month wait of course unless it has Sandy bridge or case redesign. Im looking at the 13" or the base 15"
     
  7. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #7
    A case redesign isn't going to happen for a while.

    You don't seem like someone who will benefit from Sandy Bridge. I'd just get whatever you want now, perhaps leaning a bit towards the base 15" with the i5.
     
  8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

    Gorilla Power

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    #8
    Sandy Bridge is a long way to go from now. On the other hand, if you buy a new notebook now you get a free printer and an iPod.
     
  9. danistyping macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #9
    There's no point in waiting if you need it for september. Also, trying to get by on the lab computers will be very annoying.

    Between now and september, you can get the computer at a student discount, get a free ipod and printer, sell them on ebay and get almost 300 bucks back.

    As for the 15", all you'll get in the next update is probably a slight speed increase...definitely not worth the wait. This last one was a huge update. Go for it.
     
  10. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

    dsprimal

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2010
    #10
    buy now or in september, whatever you thought of doing. i feel like ive been waiting way too long for the most current mbps that just came out (waited since december). i can't imagine how long it will be to wait for the NEXT update....wow i think i would go insane. anyways, buy now cause they were JUST refreshed last month.
     

Share This Page