Buy MBP 15" or Mac Pro? Help Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by exiag335, Jan 9, 2009.

1. exiag335 macrumors member

Hello

I need to buy a new computer for use for doing graphic design, animation and music production.

I want to buy a tower but the Mac Pros have slower bus systems and weaker video cards than the MBP now.
    I was waiting to see if new Mac Pros were going to be released this week but they were not.

Should I buy the MBP now and get the new Mac Pro whenever it comes out?
    I plan on having both anyway.

Help Please

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... weaker video cards... sure... You do know that the MacBook Pro uses mobile cards, right?

It was impossible for the Mac Pro to have been updated at MacWorld.

Wait for the Nehalem Mac Pro and get that.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The mac pro's have a quad core processor compared to the dual core in the MBP and the video cards are way better, what are you on about? The mac pro's are about 2 to 3 times better than the MBP. Tallest is right, i would get the MBP now and then wait to get the Mac Pro in 6 months.

Im not really sure what help you need other than, well actually i cant say that here :p

4. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

I am sorry I meant that the cards are week and the bus system is slow compared to PC systems newer current tech. If they offered the Nvidia 8800GTX or the 9800GTX I would think about buying it now, but don't want to get outdated tech. This computer hasn't been updated for a long time.
    But I need something now, thats why I am wondering if I should get the MBP and wait for the supposed update on the Mac Pro.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aaaand both of those are grossly outdated, too.

As well it shouldn't be. It's not a laptop.

6. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

I know but still better than the 8800Gt this is available now. Hope Apple starts putting current up to date good video cards in their machines.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It will happen when they give them Nehalem processors.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Good things come to those who wait, and believe me thats really true with Apple.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We've been waiting for "current" GPUs since the PowerMac G3 days. Believe me; it's not happening.

10. rhyx macrumors 6502

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I dont think its really in Apples business model to care about GPU's too much, theyre not targeting gamers heavily, yet, at least not in the desktop range.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And that's fine, you know? They don't have to target gamers; they don't have to have ANY gaming enthusiast cards.

But when their line of GPUs goes straight from "able to drive a monitor" (HD 2600) to "can singleprocessorly cure cancer... in 3D!" (Quadro FX 5600), there's a bit of a gap.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

yeah your right, but that would put the price up considerably and Apple would be bummed out the market even more, theyre trying to find ways to cut their prices on all computers, Notebooks and Desktops by about 20% this year so i wouldnt hold your breath for a QuadroFX 5600 anytime soon.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... not really. The price would only go up for those who want it. The crappiest card would still be standard and one could update to an actually-good-but-not-Crysis-at-60-FPS-VH-16AA-card or the Übercard if they wished.

It's been shown that if it's there, it will be bought.

And, wait... CUT their prices... you know that their cheapest notebook is now $200 more, right?

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes i know but average computer industry prices have dropped between 20-40% this year, and i was reading an article in the Harvard Review earlier by an ex Apple director mentioning that they plan to reduce their overall prices this year by 20% not to match industry standards because we all know Apple dont do that but to become more competitive because they want to grow their market share to just under 23%. Apple considers this 23% to be the ideal market share, not too big or you'll become bloated like Microsoft and forced to do everything the consumers demand, however not too small to be forced out, which nearly happened in the late 80's early 90's crash. So theyre trying to build their business model around this aim. This is reflected in some decisions which experienced and loyal Apple users have found bewildering in recent weeks, and have branded as blatent attemps at consumerism, and moving away from what the "loyal fans" demand, like no Mac Mini release.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Also i should mention under 23% market share means they arnt bound by US and EU trade competition laws to even consider licensing their O/S to any other companies. Microsoft fell into this trap with Media Player in 2004 and lost $800 Million in fines as a result.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I mean Apple would like to be just under 23% of course at the moment theyre about 15% but it varies all the time.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They just topped 10% for the first time ever, but sure... :p

I really don't get this 23% thing. Seems to me that Windows, at 89%, isn't having any trouble with the EU in terms of monopoly.

19. whatwereusaying macrumors newbie

Not to match industry standards but to become more competitive. Mhmm... Slight contradiction in terms.

That EX Apple director doesn't work for Apple anymore. So he's really not the best source. IMHO.

If Apple never conformed to the rest of the industry, they wouldn't exist. They've made a few concessions over the years, for the sake of business over preservation of culture and image. If a price drop comes, that will be why.