Buy MBP now or wait for 2018 version? Will 2018 a 15-inch macbook pro get a VEGA gpu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KensaiMage, Nov 5, 2017.

1. KensaiMage macrumors regular

KensaiMage

As we know, intel will release cannonlake processors in 2019 or late 2018; that means we will not receive lpddr4 / 32gb ram macbook until 2019.

Does that mean that potential buyers should not wait for 2018 mbp refresh and buy the macs now as apple won’t change much?

The only change that could matter is a mobile VEGA gpu in 2018 15-inch macbook pros, but how possible is that these gpus appear in next year mbps?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's all pretty unlikely, they do iterative updates until a new model comes out. 2017 one's are still pretty new and if you need one, no reason to hold off.

Expect around 20% increase in performance, don't be concerned with having X newest B or whatever. If the current ones are plenty fast for you and you're looking at around 6 months wait for a faster one, then just buy the current.

3. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

thanks. what I care the most about is futureproof specs. thus its hard to make a decission. in addition to the business related mbp I need to buy 3 macbooks 12 for my family members as our computers are old and we reach for ipads much more often atm.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

You'll never future proof a device, especially one in a technology field.

If you brought a 6 months old machine just expect it to last 6 months less than if you brought a brand new one, that's the most simple way of looking at it. But there isn't going to be a major redesign until 2020, and even then the internals are still largely iterative, so if you brought one in 2019 it'll still be absolutely fine.

5. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Nobody knows, of course it's possible, there are equally probable reasons why it is unlikely.

As I said if you need something then buy it. If you can wait then wait, no point buying something you don't need, and no point waiting for something when you do need it.

7. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

You should always wait as long as you can to purchase. Do you actually need now? Yes? Buy. No? wait.

8. leman macrumors G3

Do we know that?

I think that Vega on next refresh is pretty much a certainty. There is simply nothing else suitable on the market. And it’s rather clear that Vega was developed with Apple in mind, since it’s a pro-apps-first architecture. I think that Vega in Mac will come earlier than later.

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

One advantage you will always have with Macs is the resale value. I purchased a 2016 nTB on a great sale and several months later Apple updated the retina MacBook with the much improved design, and this met my needs better than the nTB. I sold the nTB and got back everything I initially paid minus a few hundred bucks with minimal effort. If Apple releases a MacBook with eInk keys, I'll immediately upgrade both my MacBook and my 15-inch MBPr.

And with an App like Carbon Copy Cloner, you can literally transfer everything from one Mac to another in less than an hour of work + waiting, and have everything down the individual settings and licenses, be completely identical.

Between the ability to recoup most of an initial investment, the ease in transferring between upgraded hardware devices, the simplicity in securely erasing User data, and the minimal effort required to do all of this, I've become increasingly less worried about future-proofing and more inclined to buy a new device immediately if it has the potential to meet my needs better than a current device - and, should something come out that meets those needs even better later on, just rinse and repeat. (My main interest in Macs is their ability to make me money - provided they continue to enable me to make money better than alternatives, I'll continue to buy them.)

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My advice:

Unless you need something NOW, I think you'd do better to wait.

The 2018's are definitely going to have a sizable improvement insofar as video (particularly 4k video) is concerned.

Also -- perhaps by next year Apple will get "the keyboard problems" worked out. Either with further revisions to the existing design, or perhaps an entirely new keyboard that is "some other design" rather than the problematic one they're currently using.

11. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

I think they'll probably have proper 10 bit display panels for real HDR support.

12. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

I think that's exactly correct. I would not count on Apple correcting the keyboard, though.

Also, if you are in a position to ask the question, you're almost certainly in a position to wait.

13. Larvas macrumors member

Larvas

What does future-proof mean for you? If you guys are happy with iPads and are not power users in terms of RAM and CPU hungry apps, go for the current setup which is available and the good sides of it, not on the sides which can be updated within the next year.

Does it fulfill your needs? Keep it and enjoy using it. There are plenty users with even 5 year old devices who are still quite happy with their purchase (Mac Pros, RMBPs, Mac Minis etc).

Does it bother you that there is a newer device on the market? Well, you bought a tech device with long-term value - you want an updated one? Just sell your old one, add a few hundred bucks and buy the new one.

14. Macalicious2011, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

That's contradictory and makes my head spin.

15. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

If you're chasing specs you'll never win with technology. I got a 2016 15" because I needed it for work. I wish I could have waited, mainly because of the keyboard problems I've had, but I needed it to do jobs. I'll probably buy another one in a few years as things change and I would guess it will be a Mac.

I don't really get the "stat collector" mentality with technology. It seems like people buy, or don't buy, because of a part number, not because they really need it.

16. leman macrumors G3

You are missing the point. Sometimes, difference between subsequent releases are larger than usual. With heavily optimized power management of the recent CPU refresh and stacked video RAM coming to laptops, the next MBP release is likely to be the most significant jump in years. If one doesn’t nesessarily need a computer now and can wait few months to get a significantly more capable machine, why not do it?

17. Legionnaire Suspended

Plus, current models become clearances with better prices

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I think it very likely we will get 6 core 15 inch machines with vega graphics this year (and 13 inch machines with quadcore and on die AMD graphics).

Also don’t be surprised if there is a 32gb option in the 15 inch even if they have to use a separate ram controller, I think they may have to give in on this one due to intels persistent tardiness...

19. deliriumxy macrumors member

Just wait for the resurrection of Steve Jobs when he will release the MacBook Pro X.

It will be the perfect computer, the Platonic ideal. All specs will be maxed out, it will have the perfect screen, keyboard, and infinite battery life.

Personally, that is what I am doing.

20. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Even a month ago I’d probably have said no point in waiting if you’re in need... I think as of now we’re getting into the grey area where it might be worth holding off until spring though unless you can get a really nice deal on one of the current ones. KBL R will likely be quite a step up in cpu power for the first time in a while, if that’s important to you, and even if it isn’t the remaining 2017 stock will be sold off cheaper.

21. The Reasonable One macrumors regular

The Reasonable One

There is also the possibility of a Apple A series coprocessor in the 2018 like what is in the iMac Pro. This should help with battery life if they do it correctly.

22. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

The general rule of thumb is that if you absolutely need something now, buy it now and enjoy it. If you don’t, wait...just don’t wait forever or you will end up waiting forever. There (hopefully) is always something “better” coming along.

23. mj_ macrumors 6502a

mj_

AMD hasn't even announced mobile Vega chips yet, and I highly doubt Apple is going to cram the current 210W-345W Vega chips into their MacBook Pros. The only thing AMD has announced are Raven Ridge APUs with a Ryzen CPU and a Vega GPU and again it's highly unlikely that Apple is going to go all-in with AMD and ditch Intel.

24. leman macrumors G3

I would t be surprised if AMD makes custom cut-down Vega chips for Apple. The current Polaris chips in the MBP are also not available anywhere else. Besides, I don’t think that making Vega mobile is such a big challenge. AMD already has a number of configurations, e.g. also the desktop package they make for Intel‘s upcoming KL CPU.

25. 4RunnerHeaven Suspended

I didn't wait and got my 2017 MBP 15" now. I know by the history of Apple. this update isn't going to be a big one either. Don't believe what everyone says expecting it to be a big when when they don't know. Get one now and enjoy it.