Buy MBP now or wait for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by schoi, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. schoi macrumors newbie

    Sep 6, 2007

    I'm a college student and I'm thinking about switching over to mac.
    As many of you already know, I can get a free iPod nano if i purchase a mac before 9/16. I would be buying a MBP, but I am a little bit hesitant because I am not entirely sure whether I should wait till Leopard comes out in October.

    What do you guys think?
    Buy a MBP now and get a free iPod nano and get Leopard later when it comes out?
    or wait until Leopard comes out and buy a MBP with Leopard installed?

  2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

    May 15, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    well, if you think you could or want to use the nano, go for it now. I personally would just buy it now if you want to, even if you don't want the nano. Take the nano, quick sell it for 125 (since you only get 149 credit now) and use that money to purchase leopard. That way you're still ahead on $ value since leopard will be 70 bucks or so for students.

    Again, if you want to use the nano, save yourself some money and just pick it up now and enjoy the heck out of it.
  3. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    My response is based on one important question: when do you start school?

    Most people who are on semester system have already started school, but those who are on quarter usually start in a few weeks. If you are going to start at the end of September, I say go for it now.

    However, if you have already started school, I advise against it. Getting a new computer is not something you want to do while the semester is in session. I'm assuming you've never used Macs before, so you will need a little while to adjust. Also, you'll have to carve out time for transfering files, and making it "yours." In addition to this, you have to remember that something can always go wrong. Suppose it gets delayed? Suppose it arrives DOA? It can be a pain to deal with problems while you have classes/midterms to worry about. If you are already in school, wait until December when you've taken all your finals, and then buy one. At least you'll have a few weeks to get yourself comfortable and ready to start in January with a brand new Mac.
  4. iTeen macrumors 65816


    Aug 13, 2007
    get the nano...sell it...make a few extra $(hopefully) and buy leopard:eek:
  5. schoi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 6, 2007
    school has already started

    thank you for posting guys.
    my school has already started, but the problem is my current computer is too slow for me to wait any more than a month.

    anyway, since apple will give out the old ipod nano instead of the recently updated one, who would care to buy the outdated one?

    any thoughts on this?

  6. BennyK macrumors 6502

    Sep 14, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    Look on Ebay, lots of people are buying the old ones

  7. anamznazn macrumors regular


    Mar 10, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    wouldn't this deal apply towards the new Nanos?
  8. GavinTing macrumors 6502


    Sep 4, 2007
    If you need it, buy it. If you can do without it, don't buy it :rolleyes:

    I would wait for it personally, since you have a computer that can last that long.. Leopard is out in october-ish right?

    No.. The Terms&Conditions for the promotion states specific model numbers
  9. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    #9 your case, it's really a toss-up, but I would wait. Since the value of the iPod is $149-ish retail, and probably about $100 on ebay, you'd only be getting a marginal benefit by getting it now. If you wait, you might get an upgrade, and if you buy during Thanksgiving, you'll have more time to setup your computer the way you like it.
  10. tingly macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2005
    If general history continues, a new set of laptops debut (speedbump, I bet) close to when Leopard comes out.

Share This Page