Buy MBP now or wait for Lion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zain24, Mar 14, 2011.

  1. zain24 macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2011

    I would like to know whether it is smart to buy a MBP now or wait for Lion? I am assuming the MBP will not be changing at all this year - so if I buy it now, how easy will it be to upgrade to Lion? Are prices usually over 100 dollars to upgrade? Is there a suspected date for Lion release? Summer is a long time to wait.

    Thinking about i7, 13" MBP with 4GB ram.
  2. talmy macrumors 601


    Oct 26, 2009
    It's always smart to delay buying any computer until you need it. So if you need it now, then buy it, and you can upgrade probably late this Summer. Traditionally the price has been $129 and the upgrade is easy. However if don't need a new computer now, then wait.
  3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a


    Sep 26, 2010
    Peterborough, Canada
    Facing the same dilemma. Thinking of picking up a new MBP but not too sure what I should do with regards to Lion. Hopefully they won't make the upgrade that expensive.
  4. Barnzee macrumors regular

    Oct 15, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I would wait that way you can catch the free ipod touch promotion that they have going on in the summertime
  5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Jan 10, 2008
    Always wait to buy a computer because there is always something better down the road.
  6. zain24 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for the helpful replies!

    Wow free ipod touch? Does that mean the price for MBP will increase when Lion is out?
  7. 01chris macrumors newbie

    Jun 3, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the free iPod Touch promotion only applies to students. That's assuming they even run it this year, of course.
  8. scottgroovez macrumors regular

    May 20, 2010
    I tend to be a reversion (or 5 I still have and use a P4) behind, that way any issues that arise have been ironed out or workarounds found. I'm looking at getting my first macbook and looking at getting a 2010 model. Saying that I upgraded to Windows 7 straight away and loving it. No major or even minor issues found for me.
  9. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a


    Sep 1, 2007

    Lion is no reason to wait for a purchase. You'll love it now and the software you use on a day to day basis won't change. But I would save up the extra 300 for the 15 with quad core, better graphics and larger screen. Otherwise the lower end Macbook Pro with an aftermarket SSD is a better computer than the one you're looking at as it will be noticeably faster because of the ssd.
  10. sonnyfazio macrumors newbie

    Mar 20, 2011
    I would buy the machine now. Lion is slated to be released in Summer (usually August), so you'd be waiting several months just to save around $125 dollars.
  11. 87am macrumors regular

    Feb 27, 2011
    Is that suppose to be serious advice?
  12. acro macrumors newbie

    Dec 10, 2010
    Whoahaha... don't you just love it....
  13. zenio macrumors 6502

    Feb 2, 2011
    It's not going to be long before the new Macs come preloaded & optimized (small but valuable tweaks) for Lion, I'm sure you'd be very glad you waited.
  14. Staindsoul macrumors 6502


    Apr 13, 2010
  15. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000


    Feb 9, 2011
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i was in a similar predicament
    i couldn't wait any jsut brought a MBP 17"

    having only recently moving over to mac, i brought a 2010 MBP in dec as my laptop bricked it and i was without iphone/laptop so needed something

    i recently sold my MBP 15" as it was untouched, but i really miss it now im back using a windows laptop borrowed from a sibling

    god i miss the trackpad!

    surely if you have new 2011 MBP u should be able to get lion with some sort of concession, even a small
  16. 314631 macrumors 6502a

    May 12, 2009
    iDeaded myself
    He's right. I'm still using a 486 DX2-66 running Windows 3.1 for the reason he gave. Eventually Apple will release a Mac that will never be improved upon and that's when I'll upgrade.
  17. solowmodel macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2011

    If you need it now, buy it now.

    If you really, really, want one now, then buy one now.

    Be happy.


    If you can wait, then wait.

    If you don't need it, and only 'kind of' want one, then wait.

    If you are just kind of interested, then wait.

    Wait and be happy.

  18. zain24, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

    zain24 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for the helpful replies. I really do need it, so I think I should buy now and hope there will be a discount for Lion

    Thats really good advice, thank you. I am actually worried about this as I tend to use a lot of programs at once (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, cyberduck FTP, ichat, preview, microsoft word and chrome at once).

    I don't think I will get a 15" though.

    These are my options with MBP 13" [Edu pricing]:

    A - i5: $1,149.00 + $198 [8gb upgrade] + $225 [128GB Solid State Drive] + $219 [apple care] = $1,791

    B - i7: $1,449.00 + $198 [8gb upgrade] + $180 [128GB Solid State Drive] + $219 [apple care] = $2,046

    $255 difference.. I am looking for speed rather than space. I don't have any itunes or photos really. My family has a time machine that I can use for storage so don't need the SSD I think. I probably wont be using more than 200GB on internal hard drive. Right now I have a regular macbook with capacity of 111 gb and 13 gb left. It only has 1 GB of ram and is an 2.2GHz intel core 2 duo. Likely my next purchase will be kept for a while. Money is an issue thats why I am reluctant to go ahead and purchase option B. Thinking I should not get the SSD regardless of A or B unless it makes a huge impact.

    Do you guys have any recommendations?
  19. zain24 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for your reply.

    Preloaded and optimized sounds good, but if they're not changing the Macbook Pro hardware then in the end wont installing Lion myself be the same thing?
  20. hajime macrumors 68040

    Jul 23, 2007
    There will probably some bugs. Buy the MBP now and wait for 1-2 months after the software release. Hopefully the major issues will be sorted out.
  21. john123 macrumors 68020


    Jul 20, 2001
    Yes. The "tweaks" to which he's referring are virtually non-existent. There is no substantive difference between buying a MBP now and buying one after Lion is released.
  22. talmy macrumors 601


    Oct 26, 2009
    If you are using 111 GB now, getting a system with only 128GB of SSD will be a problem. Also, the i7 doesn't really offer that much performance improvement over the i5 -- the i5 is considered to be the best bang-for-buck.

    I'd suggest saving money by buying the RAM upgrade elsewhere. For instance has 8GB for <$100. You could also consider swapping out the standard hard drive for a hybrid like the Seagate Momentus XT.
  23. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    A - i5: $1,149.00 + $198 [8gb upgrade] + $225 [128GB Solid State Drive] + $219 [apple care] = $1,791

    B - i7: $1,449.00 + $198 [8gb upgrade] + $180 [128GB Solid State Drive] + $219 [apple care] = $2,046

    Get the base model with 4Gb ram. Then upgrade the ram yourself for half the price then sell the old ram.

    Also, you might want to consider getting a 120GB SSD from a place like OWC (which has a better SSD than Apples) for about the same price instead and then keep the original drive as your backup drive.
  24. Temuco macrumors newbie

    Nov 14, 2007
    Kunming, China
    I've decided to wait for Lion and will buy a MBP once Lion is announced. I leave for china mid August and won't be back for a long time. Is it likely that Lion will be announced prior to release? I understand that buying once Lion is announced entitles one to a free upgrade. Anybody know if that is true?

    What's the speculation about Lion release date? I know summer of 2011. Any good ideas about that?

Share This Page