BUY MBP now? Or wait for Nehalem??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Flyhigh, Nov 14, 2008.

  1. Flyhigh macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    #1
    Hi all, just a beginner starting out. Looking to purchase my first MBP! However setting all the excitement aside, I was glad I read about the new chipset upgrades coming, specifically Nehalem. I have some questions

    1)Would the new chipset be ready in the MBP in March 09, or Dec 09?
    2)Would the MBP prices increase to reflect the new chipset prices? or stay the same?

    Thank you!!!
     
  2. migsev macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    #2
    the mobile i7's should be out in the final quarter of 2009. going with how apple normally adopts architecture later than most, i'm assuming the i7's will be in apple notebooks by 2010 at the earliest.

    with price changes, i think its safe to assume that they'll stay the same. if there'll be a change, it'll be around $100, give or take.
     
  3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #3
    Bingo. Plus, dual-core Nehalems will come in January 2010, so depending on which CPU type(s) Apple chooses, we could be waiting a bit longer.
     
  4. bytodaystandrds macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
    #4
    .. so, you'd be better off getting the current MBP (or a refurbished previous for a really good value), keeping it for 2 - 2.5 years and then sell it to upgrade for the mobile core i7...

    Does it make sense?
     
  5. timestoby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Location:
    north devon,uk
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Fly higher and buy today. Get the 17" with the matte screen. Soon they'll all be glossy.
     
  7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #7
    Agree and also agree with timestoby. Refurb MBPs offer excellent value and are terrific machines; you'll easily get a few years out of one. When the upgrades finally materialise, check them out, if you like what you see, sell your MBP and buy one, and if not, then hold onto your MBP until something which takes your fancy actually does make an appearance.

    Cheers and good luck
     

Share This Page