Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyhigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Hi all, just a beginner starting out. Looking to purchase my first MBP! However setting all the excitement aside, I was glad I read about the new chipset upgrades coming, specifically Nehalem. I have some questions

1)Would the new chipset be ready in the MBP in March 09, or Dec 09?
2)Would the MBP prices increase to reflect the new chipset prices? or stay the same?

Thank you!!!

migsev

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
the mobile i7's should be out in the final quarter of 2009. going with how apple normally adopts architecture later than most, i'm assuming the i7's will be in apple notebooks by 2010 at the earliest.

with price changes, i think its safe to assume that they'll stay the same. if there'll be a change, it'll be around $100, give or take.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
the mobile i7's should be out in the final quarter of 2009. going with how apple normally adopts architecture later than most, i'm assuming the i7's will be in apple notebooks by 2010 at the earliest.

with price changes, i think its safe to assume that they'll stay the same. if there'll be a change, it'll be around $100, give or take.
Bingo. Plus, dual-core Nehalems will come in January 2010, so depending on which CPU type(s) Apple chooses, we could be waiting a bit longer.

bytodaystandrds

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
.. so, you'd be better off getting the current MBP (or a refurbished previous for a really good value), keeping it for 2 - 2.5 years and then sell it to upgrade for the mobile core i7...

Does it make sense?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
.. so, you'd be better off getting the current MBP (or a refurbished previous for a really good value), keeping it for 2 - 2.5 years and then sell it to upgrade for the mobile core i7...

Does it make sense?

Agree and also agree with timestoby. Refurb MBPs offer excellent value and are terrific machines; you'll easily get a few years out of one. When the upgrades finally materialise, check them out, if you like what you see, sell your MBP and buy one, and if not, then hold onto your MBP until something which takes your fancy actually does make an appearance.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.