Buy MBP now or wait for new release October 2017?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pootato, Apr 22, 2017.

  1. Pootato macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2017
    #1
    Hi all,

    New here and just have a quick question. I'm really interested in getting my hands on a new 13inch MacBook Pro. However, from the "Buyer's Guide" it looks like Apple is in the middle of the product release cycle for MacBook Pro's and the status is set to "Neutral".

    My question is, would it be smart to just wait for the next generation in Fall 2017 since we're already half way there? Do the machines get THAT much of an upgrade that it warrants waiting?

    Thanks!
     
  2. cobracnvt macrumors member

    cobracnvt

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2017
    #2
    If you need it now, then I would go ahead and get one. There are sales now for the laptop and there are also refurbished models available in the Apple store, so you can save some money. The question about waiting has been a valid question when it comes to buying computers for decades now and it will always be a question going forward.
     
  3. Pootato thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2017
    #3
    Cheers!
     
  4. theluggage macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    #4
    There's no firm indication that there will be new MBPs in the fall, apart from rumors. (Remember those new iMacs which were positively, definitely coming in Q1 2017? Right.) The most likely update will be to 7th gen processors, which aren't dramatically better than the current 6th gen ones.

    As always: if you need it now, get it now - if you don't need it now, wait.
     
  5. Pootato thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2017
    #5
    Awesome, appreciate the advice!
     
  6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #6
    Put simply, if you need a computer, buy it now, but, if you merely want one, I'd suggest that you wait until the autumn - although there is no guarantee whatsoever that the MBP line will be up-graded.
     
  7. kschendel macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2014
    #7
    The next refresh is likely to have better thermal behavior and just possibly the ability to go past 16 Gb of RAM. This is WAGging on my part, you understand. If you need something top of the line that will stay a high level computer for many years, maybe wait. For pretty much any other situation I'm with the "buy when you need it" crowd.
     
  8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #8
    If your current machine is not meeting your needs buy now if it is then wait.
     
  9. bigtomato macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    #9
    Ask yourself what applications do you use most? I've done this and concluded mostly microsoft office and iTunes. Today's day and age makes no more sense to own a MacBook since all new apps are being written for ios. Instead you might want to consider a full blown windows machine with an iPad. There is a nice 15" hp x360 convertible, works as a tablet and a lot less than MacBook with 4k display.
     
  10. kschendel macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2014
    #10
    "All new apps are being written for IOS" is an overstatement at best and simply wrong at worst. Tablets are fine for tablet-y things. You won't catch me doing editing or spreadsheets on a tablet in this lifetime.

    I won't disagree with the advice to consider what you might be using the machine for.
     
  11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #11
    My bet is that Apple won't touch them this Fall. Apple seems to go beyond normal refresh rates now. If you go to the website, it says "New" for the Macbook Pro. I bet Apple won't touch the MBP until Sep of 2018.
     
  12. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2015
    Location:
    West Cost A Lot
    #12
    As others have posted "if you need it now" buy. However, if you don't need the new features of the current MBP, but rather simply want. Then save your money.
     
  13. JMacHack macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2017
    #13
    You're asking me to replace my office workhorse (used for adobe suite) with a machine with a slower processor, worse graphics card, and worse display, because it can turn into a tablet?

    And you make that suggestion despite assuming someone has an iPad already?
     
  14. nordique macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2014
    #14
    Although fixed to some degree, the current macbook pros are still on the weak side with battery life.

    It was such a big deal at launch that I'm sure apple will address it for the next version.

    If you are able to, I would just wait.

    They are otherwise fantastic computers that perform well. Battery life is the weak spot for them - it's not terrible and the critics exaggerate it, but it's not great either and for the price one pays, it's fair to say its disappointing
     
  15. TheArcher macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2014
    #15
    There is no sense in waiting. As others have indicated, if you need it now then buy one. Even if Apple selects to release rMBPs with Kaby Lake, this generation does not warrant waiting. Kaby Lake runs at the same IPC as Skylake and will not support LPDDR4, only LPDDR3.

    There's a small chance Coffee Lake will be introduced and Apple may release MBPs based on this but I expect the chances to be slim. Coffee Lake will support LPDDR4 and greater than 16 GB ram. Hopefully Intel will have a six core variant for MBPs. This is when I will buy one.

    Intel has been resting on their laurels which has allowed AMD to nip at their heals again. This has caused Intel to move up their product release cycle and be more progressive which is great!.
     
  16. Berti10 macrumors regular

    Berti10

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2012
    #16
    I bought my 2015 Force Touch MBP in October 2015, having the same thoughts as the model I bought was 7 months old at this time. Still glad I did it because it took Apple a whole year to release these new Macbooks and, because I'm from Europe and the US$ raised, Apple raised the price drastically. I paid 1799€; now the 2 y/o device is still available and it costs 2299€, with exactly the same specs!
     
  17. hajime macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #17
    Apple is different now. Even you can wait for months, the up-coming one may not be desirable.
     

Share This Page